The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seems as if it would be interesting to read, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents of the book were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend this book to any readers seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.
It is about a young boy, eleven at the beginning of the book, named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children were born to birth mothers who will never get to see their children once born. Trying not to give the rest of the book away to any who may want to read The Giver, Jonas is assigned a vital job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child, born to one of the birth mothers as described. Toward the end of the book you learn what being released means and how it plays a key role in the story. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family, to save Gabriel, the child being threatened, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.
This book was dreadful. I was becoming more and more dissatisfied each time I turned the page. It was a waste of a book, and time, and hardly made sense at all. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too insufficient to continue reading after the first chapter. Although, I managed to read the entire book, I regret doing so. I can't describe the dismal and melancholy plot, and how the ending would leave any reader confused and disgruntled. I honestly hated the book. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. This book proved to be a mediocre work of writing, no better than what the average person could conceive. I would never recommend this book to anyone, most assuredly.

monsterthing said...
I didn't like it either but I didn't have a choice because we had to read it in class. I agree, terrible book...and that community is not nearly perfect

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Excuse me, but I have a different opinion. I'm not being rude of your opinion, but just go on this link:

TeenInk.com/reviews/book_reviews/article/1803/The-Giver-by-Lois-Lowry/

Thanks!