Hereafter by Tara Hudson | Teen Ink

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

Hereafter is my first real ghost story and I loved it. I had read stories where there were minor characters who were ghosts or where the main character could see ghosts, but none where the main character was a ghost. The fact that Amelia is dead gives the whole book an ethereal and tragic feel. For a dead person, Amelia is perfectly delightful. Her story was so sad and yet she didn't sink into despair. She manages to keep a sense of humor and hope.

Joshua is quite swoonworthy, but in a normal, teenager-ish sort of way. He can be oblivious and insensitive at times, but he tries his best. He is always very human in his mistakes which made me like him even more. The romance in Hereafter is beautiful. Both Amelia and Josh have that slightly awkward feel of innocents who aren't sure what they are doing but think it is wonderful. And it is.

The enemies in this book are rather vague, but with a great deal of promise. I am really, really looking forward to book 2. Hereafter could stand on its own, but it has an unfinished air to it, that of a story half-told. Amelia and Joshua have many trials ahead and I can hardly wait to see how they make it through.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading sweet, impossible romances.