Tears of a Tiger by Sharon M. Draper | Teen Ink

Tears of a Tiger by Sharon M. Draper

By Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York
Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock

When I started reading this book by Sharon M. Draper, I thought it was just an average book, and I didn't particularly like it. It was written in diary entries, letters, poems, prayers, unique dialogue, etc. That type of writing is not my style, but as I continued to read, I realized how good the author is at writing.
The book starts with Andy Jackson and his friends driving around, drunk, with Andy at the wheel. They get into an accident, and Andy's best friend, Rob Washington, is burned to death, stuck in the car, screaming to Andy for help.
The rest of the book shows how Andy and his classmates cope with this tragedy, and it hits Andy the hardest. The other boys that had been in that doomed car with Andy and Rob-B.J. and Tyrone-are, of course, upset, but can't share Andy's feelings of guilt, as they were not driving.
Andy seeks help and support from his girlfriend, Keisha, and his psychologist, but his depression still lingers, until a horrifying and painfully realistic climax.
This is a great book, but not for anyone under fourteen. If someone reads it when they are not emotionally ready, it could be very upsetting, as it covers a lot of tough topics.

I was unsure whether I wanted to read this book or not. I finally made the decision to read it, and I am SO glad I did. It was awesome!

on May. 26 2011 at 11:59 am
Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

Thanks! I was trying to make it detailed, but I am always afraid of giving TOO much away about the book in the review.

on May. 25 2011 at 2:06 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Good review, but needs more detail.