Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury | Teen Ink

Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury

January 13, 2011
By Eunice Herman BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Eunice Herman BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine a story about facing challenges and you’ve got Unlocked, by Karen Kingsbury. Filled with compassion, high-school student, Ella Reynolds, befriends the kind, yet autistic Holden Harris after finding out that they were best friends when they were younger, before he turned autistic. With Ella and his mother’s help, he slowly comes out of the shell that autism trapped him into. Then, when a tragedy strikes their high school, Ella takes a stand for underprivileged kids. After that, Holden is given an opportunity to shine, but will he be able to overcome the hold that autism has over him? Read the book to find out.

I like the setting of this book. It ties in into the plot of the story and it enhances its meaning in certain situations. Also, the narrator’s voice was cool. Kingsbury has an awesome way with words because the way she used them to create the plot of the story is incredible. Her word choice got you so hooked, it’s unbelievable. She described details that were important to the story and made the story exciting. If you like a story with some drama, faith, friends overcoming obstacles together, and love, then I recommend that you read this book.