The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Oct. 23 2010 at 4:34 pm
thebushhippie PLATINUM, Sandown, New Hampshire

Leave behind your own footprints! :0)

I've never read THE GIVER, but after reading this review I don't think I want to. Of course, I'm going to anyway, because I've heard from a ton of people (including over half of the people writing these comments) that it is a fantastic book that everyone should read. Why would you ever write a review that is so negative as this one??? I was really dissapointed when I read this. However, I have to say that I appreciate the fact that you didn't want to include any spoilers, and that you wrote this well. I know this wasn't the nicest comment ever, but I felt like it needed to be said. Again, sorry...

on Oct. 23 2010 at 11:03 am
charlyanne BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
She did write two sequels: Gathering Blue and The Messenger. I think The Giver is an excellent book- one of my favorites by far.

on Oct. 18 2010 at 6:38 pm
boliviacookie27 BRONZE, Smithfield, Utah

You can tell a lot about a person by their eyebrows.

Yes definitely.  It was kind of a cliff hanger, but that is one of the things I like about The Giver.

on Oct. 15 2010 at 7:48 pm
TheNinjaStickFigure BRONZE, Bluffton, Ohio

Does this keyboard make my finger look fat?

I had to read this in class for English last year and I actually couldn't wait to read what happened. I thought it was one of the most well thought out books and really gives a new intake on life today and what it could be.

WhiteShadows said...
on Oct. 14 2010 at 8:21 pm
WhiteShadows, Ocala, Florida

You've gotta work like you don't need the money/love like you'll never be hurt/
Sing like no one is listening/ and live like it's heaven on Earth.-Anonymous

I read the giver and gathering blue. Is the messenger any good? Better or worse than the others?

WhiteShadows said...
on Oct. 14 2010 at 8:20 pm
WhiteShadows, Ocala, Florida

Great review! Well written and nice. But I totally disagree; The Giver is one of my fvorite books. Also, if you read "gathering blue" by Lois Lowry, it ties up some loose ends from "the giver" and helps you understand it fully.

I so agree that the end was abrupt and I wasn't sure what happened to Jonas. And Gathering Blue" helps you determine the end of the book.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 7:50 pm
Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When life gives you lemons make grape juice. Then sit back and watch everyone look at you in amazement. :)

Yep! Two other books in the series. :)

-Lilac

on Oct. 13 2010 at 6:18 pm
xxPhoenixDevilxx SILVER, Pinckney, Michigan

"I suck, but at the same time, I'm pretty freakin' awesome." ;)

there r sequals!?!?

on Oct. 13 2010 at 6:15 pm

i agree, i think it is a very good book and i would LOVE Lois to create a sequal to tell the rest of the story.

on Oct. 10 2010 at 1:43 pm

I really like your review, but I have to disagree.  Lois Lowry is one of my favorite authors and I think her work is misunderstood.

on Oct. 10 2010 at 1:24 pm
sOmE_nIgHtS SILVER, Wayne, Pennsylvania

Yes it's hard to write, but it's harder not to.

I completly agree! I had to read The Giver for English class in 7th grade and I didn't like it.

PoetPanda10 said...
on Oct. 3 2010 at 1:40 pm
I completely agree- this book was dreadful, utterly lacking depth, and I hated it. Finally, someone who sees it the way I do. Everyone in my class seemed to love this book and I could never understand why- I still don't.

on Oct. 2 2010 at 6:07 pm
Brook_Dlin SILVER, Joplin, Missouri

"Man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship him, then a mad man can put out the sun by writing the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell"---C.S. Lewis

Everything about the giver was deep. It takes a very analytical mind. The point of the book can be summed up in one question: Can you have happiness, joy, love, and peace without pain, heartbreak, sadness, and suffering. 

Lois Lowry did an excellent job telling of just might happen should the government ever try to take away the difficult parts of life. Keeping in account that everything about The Giver is symbolic for something else:

Jonas - Jonah of the Bible

Gabriel - The archangel

The Giver/Jonas/Gabriel - As Christ

Even if Lois isn't a proclaimed Christian, writers have been drawing parallels between their works and the Bible for centuries. 

I thought that The Giver was an awesome story about just how far people would go to make life easier and about the realities and relationships between pain and joy, love and hate, peace and suffering, happiness and sadness...

on Oct. 1 2010 at 9:52 am

Lol, yeah, I figured out what "released" meant almost right away too, but it still shocked me to find out I was right.

-Lilac

on Oct. 1 2010 at 9:44 am

I really liked the Giver, and if there were unanswered questions, that's okay, it makes you think. I thought the book presented quite a few good ethical points, and was especially good for a younger young adult audience. And if you don't like the unanswered q's, check out books two and three "Gathering Blue" and "Messenger" -Lilac

on Sep. 29 2010 at 3:11 pm
Jazzypooh BRONZE, Wilson, North Carolina

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. (Phillippians 4:13)

I actually like this book. I read it in english class in 7th grade.

Felicity15 said...
on Sep. 24 2010 at 10:19 pm
I actually liked the giver, but yes, i didn't like the unanswered questions. Great review though. Well written and had lots of good points

on Sep. 23 2010 at 11:40 pm
nextJKRowling BRONZE, Shorewood, Wisconsin

Yesterdays history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present

U r kidding! this is one of my absolute FAVORITE books. The symbolism is absoulutely tounching

on Sep. 22 2010 at 4:26 pm
Sacrifice018 SILVER, Griffin, Georgia
This book was very interseing to me in the beginnin.. But, when I found out what they did to thoes poor babies thats when I started to hate it... And I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for school. Although I don't like the book I am still glad I read it. In a way it taught me something but, I'm not really sure what that something is..

boredtodeath said...
on Sep. 15 2010 at 7:29 pm
true, true.