Go Ask Alice | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice MAG

Go Ask Alice

by Anonymous

"A raindrop just splashed on my forehead and it was like a tear from heaven. Am I really alone in the whole wide gray world? Is it possible that even God is crying for me? Oh no, no, no ... I'm losing my mind. Please God, help me." This entry is from Go Ask Alice, a true story of an anonymous girl and her days as a runaway drug addict in the 1960s. This 15-year-old girl comes from a middle class family. Her siblings, Tim and Alexandria, are very supportive and her father is a professor at a prominent university.

On a visit to her old town, she is invited to a party given by people she always wanted to be friends with. At the party she takes acid without her knowledge. It's hard to believe she was unaware of her first "trip." Yet, this was the start of the awful experiences of an innocent young girl taken in by the cruel, awful world of drugs.

During this time, she runs away, sells drugs and survives a group of druggies who are out to get her. On the road to recovery, she meets Joel at the college where her father works; he is someone who really cares about her.

All teenagers can relate to her life, and, after reading it, most won't ever touch drugs; it's a strong and painful story.

This non-fiction book is a series of diary entries, well-written, emotional and quite destructive. Several entries discuss her sad attempt to get away from drugs. Will she make it? Or become one of thousands of drug deaths each year. You will have to find out on your own. n

Review by E. C., New City, NY

i love this !

Amy_Actrz said...
on Nov. 29 2008 at 3:06 am
An amazing book. It's the kind of book you look at but stay away from because it looks like a horror book. And you know what? It is. A book about the horrors of drugs. A realistic, frighteneing book that is a great read. The coolest part is that this book is based on a real girl's diary!