The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

By Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California
Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California

The “Twilight” series, by Stephenie Meyer has swept the nation like swine flu, infecting our youth with its sexist, unreal view of the world, and sickening them till, in their delusional state of mind, they believe a stalker with fangs is the epitome of the perfect man.

“Twilight” chronicles the dull life of Bella Swan, a whiny main character who falls in love with a vampire who sparkles in the sun like the petroleum infused glittery gel that women spread on their bodies. The majority of the first book is spent waiting for a plot – don’t worry, it never comes. Move on to book two, where we watch Bella curl up in a ball, trying to fill a hole in her heart. This is where the real sexism comes into play. Bella is portrayed as someone who, when separated from her man, crawls into bed and cries for three or four months. Without a guy by her side, she is even weaker than she used to be with Edward, the vampire who thirsts for her blood. The third book has us still waiting for a plot, hoping that it might come along. Surprise! It doesn’t.

There’s some pull that makes us read the fourth book. It’s not the writing, for that in and of itself is horrendous and bland. Some compare Meyer to J.K. Rowling, author of the “Harry Potter” books. Stephen King speaks the opinions of the literate folks out there –apparently there are precious few—saying “The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

Of course, as soon as we rush to pick up “Breaking Dawn”, it’s clear we made a mistake in purchasing the obese thing that can barely be labeled a book. It’s more like a 400+ page fanfiction, written by someone with no idea what the term ‘characterization’ means. Bella is still the same whiny girl she once was, except now, she’s pregnant and annoying. It’s almost as bad as “The Secret Life of the American Teenager”! Bella also chugs down some serious blood to satiate her demon spawn. The birth scene is reminiscent of “Alien”, when the extra-terrestrial bursts from the stomach. At least in “Alien” they had the sense not to name the alien Renesmee. Like any sane adult, Bella chooses to name her demonic baby a mix of Renee, and Esme, her mother and mother in law. I wish my mother had named me a mixture of my grandmothers’ names. "Gusan" is a lovely name for any child, no?

The book ends with no bang, no bustle, and no happiness or tears. There’s only a blank feeling of relief that it’s finally over, though those of us who know what good writing is can appreciate the true lack of character development and conflict, and the extensive sexism that drives this series.

So, why is the series so incredibly popular? Girls everywhere want a vampire to sneak into their rooms and watch them sleep in a rocking chair, rocking back and forth, back and forth. It’s because of the skill Meyer has of taking stereotyped themes and making them open to a different demographic. Twilight is a vampire Young Adult series for people who don’t like vampire Young Adult series’. Meyer successfully hit the giant group of people who normally don’t read these books, and sucked in some who do, as well. Mothers seem to enjoy reading Twilight as well, perhaps because they enjoy reading what their children do.

The “Twilight” series, though sexist, juvenile, and still cliché, is still inexplicably popular. Girls –and boys- follow it in a cult-like obsession, worshipping the ground that people dressed as Edward walk on. It may continue like this for a long time – but hopefully, someone else with crappy writing will come along and start a new cult. Though some may disagree with Meyer’s writing style, and her ideas, it is still undeniable that she has thrown the entire world for a loop with her books, and that is something any author should be proud to have done.

I have no animosity towards Stephenie Meyer herself; only the drivel she imposes on teenage youth.

on Mar. 28 2018 at 11:00 am
AsenathRose GOLD, Chesapeake Beach, Maryland

"Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me,"--Shakespeare

My name would be Ascherylth, if i was named after both of my grandmothers... That's great.

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

"I'm bitter that somebody had valid criticisms of something that I liked and that they phrased it in a way that illistrated how literate they are! :(("

DaughterofPoseidon GOLD, West Seneca, New York

"Music is the air we breathe."-Molly Berger

This was the greatest interpretation of "Twilight" that I have ever read! I used to be part of that cult, but after reading the first book a little more thoroughly, I saw it for what it was. I completely agree with this review!

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I loved reading this review. It was very well written, thourough, and entertaining as well. Your humor seemed so natural and I agree with you completely.

KaitlinD said...
KaitlinD, Lakewood, New Jersey

"Don't think, or judge. Just listen."
— Sarah Dessen (Just Listen)

I loved reading this review, it was extremely well written and had great points. Even though I don't agree with your stance or some of your points, I love the way you presented them. You're a really amazing writer. :)

vampirelover BRONZE, Snow Shoe, Pennsylvania

"Dude!"

Great review! I remember when i was one of those creepy twilight fans, but now that i've read Harry Potter and other novels that aren't about stalker vampires, I began to understand that the books sucked. I still read vampire books though, but not ones like twilight, i read ones with strong female characters who know that they don't need a man to live. You did a great job on this, and i have to agree with you 100% on the topic of Twilight.

Thanks so much for your tolerance of my opinions. It's so easy just to flame; and I appreciate learning why others love it. :) 

Wow. That was such a nice comment - I can't believe someone would say something so nice! You really made my day when I first read this. ;)

I'm glad you like it. :)

I can respect that. Thank you for reading, and I'm glad that you at least enjoyed the writing, if not the editorialized style. :) It's only my personal opinion.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 1:12 am
forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"Carpe diem."

She wasn't saying that Renesmee was an alien. She was just comparing it to the movie.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 1:05 am
forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"Carpe diem."

You had me from the first line. :D

let me say this. i loved your writng in the article. but i agree adn disagree with you. (does that make sence)

its true that the books aren't well-written and they take a long time to get to the point. i've read the seris and i  some what liked it.Its true its sexist and say that bella  can only be happy if she has a man beside her..  The reason i actully liked the seris wasn't becasue i wanted my own edward  but because i like what the books introuduced . I like the idea of their being vampires in the world, cause it's a nice twist and it ges your imagineation started. I also like how  just because they are vampires they are not bad people. The cullen family in the books really gives you the message "its not what you are, its who you are".  Also i'm sure stephine meyer didn't want to be sexist. It just the message you recieved.

so basically, i loved the vampires in teh books  and i hated bella.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 7:49 am
twilight_teen14 GOLD, Moline, Illinois

"And then we continued blissfully into this small, but perfect piece of our forever...." -Bella Cullen- Breaking Dawn.
"Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it's very important that you do it."
“Everyone’s stars, don’t get your hopes up, learn the ropes and climb the ladder and know in the end, that just being here is the best and it only gets better.”

Twilight is amazing and to the writer if you don't like it that's your opinion but Twilight is really good.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 7:48 am
twilight_teen14 GOLD, Moline, Illinois

I love this series! It is awesome! And you have to admit Twilight got our "I hate to read" generation to read!!!!

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

I have three things to say before I say anything. One, congratulations on having completed all four books- I barely managed to struggle to page 250 of the first one, it was so horrendous. Two, thanks A LOT for practically stealing the thoughts out of my head- are you a psychic or something, because this is PRECISELY how I feel. Three, I am currently very envious of your writing ability because it is much too good to be possible.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm laying on way too much flattery, but this article is brilliant. It's a refreshing change from most of the garbage teens write nowadays (ahem- Twilight fan fiction). This is really good and this review, rather than the annoying Twilight-loving ones, should be published in Teen Ink magazine. 

katy_valentine BRONZE, Eldersburg, Maryland
What's creepy? I thought the review was very well done, and written very intelligently. She makes some very good points, additionally, and seems well informed on the points she makes.

on Feb. 12 2010 at 10:05 am
Andie.x.Stone BRONZE, Pomfret Center, Connecticut

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts. -Charles Dickens

I loved your article. I connected with it on every level. Twilight is the most pathetic thing that happened to this world. It's hard to go into a Barnes & Nobels now and find a book not based on vampires and werewolves. Such a pity, really. Girls clearly do not know the good kind of novels they're missing.

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

and by the way, Renesmee was a HYBRID, not an alien. oh, and for future preference, lighten up. Your language actually creeped me out.

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

well writen, though i thoroughly disagree. The obbsession is because most girls would feel as if they are Bella Swan, missing Edward when he leaves, feeling protective over Renesmme when the Volturi come for her. The Cullen's home feels like your home . I loved the books, though i will admit that they were not well- writen. That's not Stephenie Meyer's strong point, her strong point is being vivid witha believible prespective of a girl whp has fallen in love with someone who is her oppisite, is 17, and would love to become a vampire, not to be immortal, but rather to give up everything she has to pay Edward back for loving her, the average pale girl, so much. I believe i recall her saying "If your life is all you could give to your beloved, how could you not give it?" Some people just don't understand the sensitivity thgat brings readers in. As a writer, I look up to Stephenie Meyer because she was brave enogh to take the dream she saw and share it with others. she needs respect for that, at least. But thank you for not hating her as a person, I've been to her website, and she seams to be very nice, and she has a good sense of humor.