Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling

By susanschrader16 SILVER, Indianapoils, Indiana
susanschrader16 SILVER, Indianapoils, Indiana

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

My definition of a great book includes a book that is not too short, so it will have specific details and an in-depth story line. I think the final Harry Potter book is the best I have ever read. It is well written and it has a purpose. She does not ramble on and on about things people would not want to read. I think her purpose of writing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was to entertain people with her wonderful ideas and her plot line. Also, I think it showed a trait that everybody wants. It is that you never want to give up even if the people you love die, and you want to fight for what is right. Everybody could use that guidance in life.

I believe the lead is the most important part of the story, because it grabs the reader’s attention. If the lead is not up to my standards, I may not finish reading the book. J.K. Rowling usually starts off with a similar setting. One of the most recent leads is either information about Snape or Voldermort. Whenever it is Voldermort, he is killing someone with the killing curse (which is illegal). When Snape is in the scene, he is on Voldermort’s side, but Dumbledore always thought that he was on his side. It makes you wonder which side he is really on. The lead of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was satisfactory. I thought the lead could have been better. I wish it was more about Harry rather than Snape and Voldermort.

Rowling does an amazing job bringing the characters to life. I can picture the characters from their descriptions from the content of the novel. I always like to see how I think they look compared to the actors and actresses playing them in the movie.

The main characters are Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Voldermort. My favorite character is Ron. I like Ron because at some points in the book he is clueless. It makes me laugh. He is always the one needing help with homework and how to do spells. He is good at some activities like wizard chess. Also, he is so funny. He likes to make fun of people, especially Death Eaters. I think he makes fun of them more than others, because he is scared of them. Also, when he is nervous he tries to be funny. I can easily relate to Ron.

Another character that I like is Ginny, a secondary character. Ginny is Harry’s girlfriend. If she wants something, she will get it. Like during the fight at Hogwarts, she was supposed to stay in the room of requirements. She is an underage wizard. Somehow she sneaks off and starts to fight. Rowling does a great job of making a memorable secondary character.

All of J.K. Rowling’s characters have their own personality, strengths, and weakness. I like how she puts a lot of effort into designing and developing her characters. If the characters are not good, the book is useless in my view.
One part that stood out to me was during the battle. Ginny, Hermione, and Luna were all dueling Bellatrix (Voldermort’s most honorable Death Eater). Bellatrix shot a killing curse at Ginny that missed by an inch. Mrs. Weasley, Ginny’s mother, saw that and she got very livid in her actions and words. She ran over and started dueling with Bellatrix. Mrs. Weasley’s curse hit Bellatrix squarely in the chest. She fell down and died. I thought that was ironic, because Bellatrix thought she was going to win and she didn’t. Also, Mrs. Weasley got very angry. I could not stop laughing when I was reading that part. I felt like I was there in the action. Rowling did a great job with details.

The ending to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was one of the best conclusions I have read. There was so much action. One of the best things I like about the Harry Potter books are the fights. There is a lot of action and that keeps me engaged.

The ending was about the fight at Hogwarts. It was joyful and gloomy at the same time. The happy part was that Harry killed Voldermort! Although, this part was difficult to understand if you forgot what happened in the previous books. It was very intense and there was a lot of action. I like when J. K. Rowling writes about the fights because her details are so precise and I can image it. It feels like it is happening in front of me. The sad part was when a lot of people died like Fred, Tonks, and Lupin. Overall the ending was great. I wish every book had an ending like that.

The best part of the ending was the epilogue. It was 19 years later. Harry and Ginny got together; Ron and Hermione got together too. They all had kids. I loved the names Harry and Ginny had. They were Lily, James, and Albus Severus. Lily and James were named after Harry’s parents. Albus Severus was the two headmasters of Hogwarts that Harry knew personally. I thought that was an awesome idea that Rowling had. Also, the last sentence was “The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well”. I like how she added that. I was wondering, since Voldermort was dead, if Harry’s scar was still going to hurt. It provided closure, which I like as a reader.

One bad thing about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is when I try to remember what happened it escapes my memory. I think that happens because there is so much information to remember. My grandma says Harry Potter books are like cotton candy, they are sweet when you read them, but they vanish quickly from your memory; I agree.
When I was reading Deathly Hallows I could hardly put it down. It was a good quality book. I would recommend the book to all of my friends. When I first started to read Harry Potter I thought I would not care for it, because it included monsters and non- realistic creatures. I was wrong; it is the best series of books I have ever read. This proves you should not judge a book before you read it. You might think you do not like non fiction, but you read one and you love it.

on Jan. 24 2010 at 10:06 am
thanks Sam

on Jan. 24 2010 at 9:32 am
ColumbusFlame95 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Nobody is worth your tears, and the one who is won't make you cry."
"Pain is candy...Eat it up." - Amy :)

Great job Susan! :)