The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson | Teen Ink

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

By sldkfja GOLD, Sdflkjdfl, Pennsylvania
sldkfja GOLD, Sdflkjdfl, Pennsylvania

This summer I read a book titled The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson. I really enjoyed it because it was set in the future. In this futuristic world medical science and technology has advanced to the point that people could live forever and nothing could kill them. Because of this the government made a law saying that each person has a certain number of metical points which they can use to “buy” medical procedure. Each procedure takes a certain number of points. For example fixing a broken leg might be 5 points but a full hip replacement would be more like 25. When you use up all of your points you can’t get any more medical help for anything for the rest of your life.

This book really made me question the extent of medical assistance humans should have. On one hand if we have the technology for every human to live forever than letting everyone get all of the medical resources they need would be the humane thing to do. On the other hand the world is already over populated because so many more people are being born than those that are dying. Think what making there be even less deaths would mean for the number of humans. The planet can only support so many.

I also started thinking that if this new technology was allowed free reign, natural selection in the human race would end completely. We have already restricted natural selection in humans. Though, to end it completely would mean that human will not be able to adapt to their changing surroundings. This would decrease the health of the human population calling for even more medical help.

This book really made me look at the faults of some technologies and made be relies what kind of moral questions are most likely to come up in the future.