Monster by Walter Dean Myers | Teen Ink

Monster by Walter Dean Myers MAG

December 16, 2009
By Spencer B. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Spencer B. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In Walter Dean Myers' award-winning book, Monster, the main character, Steve Harmon, is caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Steve Harmon is a teenager living in New York state with his mother, father, and ­little brother. He is falsely accused of being part of a murder. The trial that follows lasts over a year and is gut-wrenching for him and his family. Throughout the book, Steve maintains his innocence and denies taking part in the murder in any way.

This book intrigued me and kept my attention throughout. It has a lot of action, and there isn't a single boring part. It keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next, which makes you want to read more. It has a very believable plot, too, which is another ­reason Monster is so good. It got me thinking and putting myself in Steve's place, as well as that of his family.

One aspect I did not like is how it is written: Myers has Steve write the book as a movie script, so it is a little confusing and difficult to follow. With lots of characters, it's hard to remember who is who, and what their purpose is.

On the other hand I ­really liked the diversity of the ­characters, and how they adapt to the different events in the book.

I recommend Monster to anyone over the age of 13. Overall I would rate this book in my top five. I really loved how Myers made each character different, but they still clicked very well. Overall the story had great flow and I would rate this book a 4.5 out of five.