Ender's Game | Teen Ink

Ender's Game MAG

A six-year-old is chosen to save the world - impossible, you say? Just wait until you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card!

Two people try to attack Ender, and are in turn brutally murdered. The murders are all in the line of duty along Ender's trail to become the only person who can save the earth from the Buggers, believed to be vicious because humans can't communicate with them. Though entertaining, the book is immature in some spots, with boys - and sometimes men - calling each other "fart heads" and other names.

Overall, Ender's Game is well-written, and Card does a good job describing the future as he sees it. There is a battle school in outer space that uses artificial gravity in the barracks, but there are also battle rooms, where there is no gravity at all. The boys in Battle School fight each other in huge games with light guns. When they are hit, their suits freeze, making them immobile. Sometimes, though, Card doesn't do a very good job explaining what he means. For instance, at one point, Ender is called a Third, but it is not until later, and, only by chance, that you find out that means he's the third-born child in his family. Since there are population restrictions, calling someone a Third is like questioning their parents' morality.

Ender's Game describes Ender's journey from a normal six-year-old to the only commander who can save the earth from the Buggers. It is rather sad to see someone of Ender's quality reduced to a killing machine, even if he does feel remorse.

Ender also becomes the greatest strategist. He has many unfair situations thrown at him that he rises above to become the victor in every battle. His teachers at Battle School are none too obsequious, either. They want everyone to hate Ender, so they make it seem like Ender is the only one they like so the other students get mad.

Ender's Game would be a good choice for someone who likes science fiction, and who doesn't mind violence and some colorful language. It is very interesting and keeps you on the edge of your chair to the end. It has some surprising twists that leave you wondering but also some obvious hints about what is going on that you can figure out after you've read the book. All in all, it is interesting and I recommend it.

i love this !

ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

I was trying to decide if I should read this or not, and now my answer is 100% yes. thanks :)