The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton MAG

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

Dancer1313 said...
on Jan. 23 2019 at 10:52 am
Dancer1313, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"There is no friend more loyal than a book."

I absolutely love the book and the movie. It is by far my favorite book(minus Harry Potter)

i love this !

Onavae said...
Onavae, Okota, Other
Fangirl

Onavae said...
Onavae, Okota, Other
Fangirl

benie said...
on Oct. 14 2015 at 10:21 am
This poem has been around for a long time the original version is better

LarryO said...
incredibly random. possibly better to try adding to comments on a book related to your topic needs? I have always been fascinated with the concept of the Hitler Youth being used as a form of control of the German Population- Children were brainwashed (as members of the Hitler Youth) and would 'report' adults who spoke negatively about Hitler resulting in a population afraid the the ears had walls so to speak. Just a thought.

hihi said...
I know this is a bit random but I think Dallas is a lot like snape from harry potter. 1. like snape, he had only one person he loved which was Johnny, and snape only loved lily. 2. both characters are misunderstood "heros" 3.they both have sureptitious personalities

LillianAB SILVER, Sisters, Oregon, Oregon

"I had bad days!"- John Watson Sherlock BBC

I love the Outsiders!!!

attee said...
If you think the book was great, watch the movieits very detailed and its just an incredible mmovie and besides the person who played ponyboy Curtis is actually quite cute as well as Ralph maccio (the karate kid) is a great performer in the movie

Tarah18 PLATINUM, Brockton, Massachusetts

"If a man can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl he simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves."
~Albert Einstein

This book was absolutely amazing! I read it in the 7th grade and we had to re-write the ending for an assignment.

killem 87 said...
true true yall be welcome lol

SmallIdeas BRONZE, Boothwyn, Pennsylvania

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
Elbert Hubbard

OK, I know this will seem really random to post on a random article, but I really need ideas for a WWII play\movie, but I have no ideas! Could someone please post an idea on one of my articles and I swear I will put you in the credits for ideas, even though it isn't a big movie or whatever. I'm freaking out and I would've written this on an article but (1) most articles don't get published for like a month and I need this in like a week, and (2) no one would read it anyways, but this is getting a lot of attention, so I'm hoping someone will stop and read the really long review. So sorry! Please post it on any article, I promise that I'll check and reply to every one of them! Thank you so much!

CallMeAria PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON :)

I read this book and I loved it! Thanks for writing a review!

C.J. said...
I read this book in seventh grade and that is the only book that touched me.

ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Michael, great review! It's unique and to the point. You touch upon all the important aspects of the book, and your opinions are clearly presented. It also flows very well. :)

sexy mama said...
this book is one of the best thing i acuelly ever read good job to who ever made this book much love  

I.R.B BRONZE said...
I.R.B BRONZE, Mendocino, California

"When you see beyond yourself, then you may find peace of mind is waiting there."
(The song, Within You Without You, by The Beatles)

The outsiders is one of my all time favorites! So much symbolism, and from someone that was 16 when she wrote it! I think Johnny Cade, is one of the greatest characters I have read about. The symbolism that he is the "Jesus Christ" character is fasinating. His innitials being J.C, how he sacrifices himself in the church to save the innocent, and references such as "You kids must be from heaven." SUCH A GOOD READ! 

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Jun. 9 2012 at 12:14 am
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California

"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

I LOVE THE OUTSIDERS!!!!!!!! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Shmelmo GOLD said...
Shmelmo GOLD, Elma, Iowa

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

I read this book in 8th grade for a school report and I loved it! We watched the movie, which was also really good.

I loved "The Outsiders"! :) It was my favorite to read in seventh grade! Cherry Valence, Ponyboy Curtis, and so many other characters were just really well-developed. S.E. Hinton is an awesome author. And she was only 16?! Even more awesome/amazing! I really need to reread this novel again and relive the imagination/story! :) Great review!