My Sister's Keeper | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper

By bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Due to the recent hype about the movie based on the book, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, I decided that I would watch it, and anyway, the plot was interesting. However, I had to do one thing first--read the book. I'm so glad I did, because I absolutely loved it.

It was emotional, powerful, and stunning. This is my first book I read by Jodi Picoult, and I am sure I would read more of hers in the future. Her writing style is great--unique and engaging. It was also wonderful how each chapter was in a different character's point of view. The plot was pretty original, though sometimes it reminded me of the book, House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.

Basically, the story is about Anna, who is the genetically perfect match of her leukemia patient sister, Kate. The very existence of Anna's life is to provide her blood and bone marrow to keep her sister alive. When it finally comes to giving her kidney away, Anna sues her parents for the rights of her body. And, then, begins the winding set of events to answer the fundamental question of what's right and what's moral. "If you use one of your children to save the life of another," the author asks, "are you being a good mother...or a very bad one?"

There's also the issue about the ending. I don't know...I didn't see it coming, but it wasn't exactly as horrible as others thought it was. I mean, life can be have moments that are unexpected and catch you deer-in-the-headlights. Maybe that's what Jodi Picoult intended. I personally didn't have any problem with the ending, except for the fact it was so ultimately sad.

hannah=(= said...
on Aug. 1 2009 at 4:09 am
hannah=(=, Ossian, Indiana
Jodi Picoult is such a great author and this book was terrific.