Passing: A Discussion on African Americans' Racial Identity | Teen Ink

Passing: A Discussion on African Americans' Racial Identity

By Stargazer_Luooo SILVER, Shenzhen, Other
Stargazer_Luooo SILVER, Shenzhen, Other

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Passing, a novel written by Nella Larsen, explores racial identity against the backdrop of the Harlem Renaissance, a period of flourishing African American culture from the 1910s through the mid-1930s. Passing, a term that describes light-colored African Americans who pretend to be white people, is a reflection of society’s oppression and low esteem for Black Americans. 

Although some African Americans have the advantage of passing because of congenital characteristics, their motivations for doing so varied. In the novel, Irene and Clare respectively represented two types: Irene passed for the reason of convenience and efficiency, while the latter was for personal happiness. It is important to point out the difference because their motivations determined their distinct attitudes toward their race. Irene lived in a Black community and married a Black husband. She only used her light skin color to avoid unnecessary troubles, like entering the hotel and enjoying some tea to avoid heat. She did not abandon her African American identity; instead, she was proud of it and served on the committee for the “Negro Welfare League.” 

Irene connected herself with her Black identity. When Irene detested Clare for interrupting her life, she could have told John Bellew, Clare’s racist white husband, about Clare’s passing. However, Irene hesitated, partly because they shared the same racial identity, so revealing Clare’s race would also bring shame to herself. She could not “separate individuals from the race, herself from Clare Kendry”(121). She bore the burden of her Black race identity and felt a strong responsibility to protect the race’s collective interests.  

Compared with Irene, Clare’s motivations were more complicated. She enjoyed the excitement of putting herself in danger. Despite realizing that her identity might be disclosed someday, she did not care about the consequences. More than once, Irene precisely pointed out Clare’s nature, accusing her of ignoring “to count as nothing the annoyance, the bitterness, or the suffering of others”(58). Indeed, Clare frequently visited Irene and sent her letters. Once, she even came to Irene’s party when she was not invited. She did not care whether Irene would be offended by her rudeness and whether her appearance would result in turmoils in Irene’s life. Furthermore, Clare abandoned her responsibilities, holding a mocking attitude toward everything. This can be seen in the description of her behaviors, as she “sat with an air of indifferent assurance”(29). She did not consider herself white or Black; rather, she passed between the two races and mocked both of them. Like a selfish businessman, she chose her identity based on which race would bring her more happiness and satisfaction.

Clare’s choice revealed an interesting social phenomenon: while some mixed-race people chose one of their races to belong to, some distanced themselves from both race communities and formed a new group. To the latter, racial identity was not an “either-or” question; they could enjoy the rights of both races. In Clare’s case, she relished material wealth by marrying a racist white banker, while at the same time maintaining a relationship with the Black community and attending Black parties. In addition, Clare could endure her husband’s racist speech because she never thought of herself as fully part of the Black community. When hearing racist comments, the only thing she had to do was jump to her white identity and pretend those comments weren’t about her. 

Nevertheless, these privileges come at a cost: people who passed could not fully integrate into any of the two race communities—they were outcasts. They must suffer the loneliness of isolation and the lack of belonging. Clare, for instance, realized the uselessness of her abundant material wealth, seeking comfort from Irene. Her relentless efforts to contact Irene reflect her solution for loneliness.

Overall, through Clare and Irene’s interactions, readers can observe two distinct attitudes toward racial identity and realize their advantages and disadvantages. As discrimination gradually fades, the intermarriage of different races will become more frequent, leading to a larger group of mixed-race people. As a result, the choice of passing or not appears increasingly crucial. What attitude we should keep toward passing becomes an unresolved question mark, leaving the readers to contemplate.