Lucy in the Sky | Teen Ink

Lucy in the Sky

November 13, 2023
By lilystephens06 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lilystephens06 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I opened to the first page I was taken aback by the page. Instead of a normal chapter title I was greeted by dates. It took me a second, but I soon realized I was looking at journal entries. Soon I was sucked in, reading the story of a young girl, Lucy, in Lucy in the Sky by Anonymous. 

Lucy starts out as any normal teenage girl, living with her parents and brother, attending school, hoping to be popular. Her life is nothing but average. That is, until she meets Ross. After being dragged to yoga with her brother, she meets him: a flirty, surfer guy with an irresistible smile. It's love at first sight. Until she realizes Ross’s not so secret secret. He’s gay

Ross and Lucy soon become best of friends and she is invited to a party full of his friends. How could she say no? This is her chance to be the popular girl she always wanted to be. Lucy has no idea what she is getting herself into by saying yes to this invitation. Soon engulfed by the party lifestyle she is no longer the normal teenage girl. As you read her journal you soon begin to become Lucy. You understand her pain and suffering, her horrible choices she makes, you understand why she accepted what she believed to be her fate. 

There are times you are angry at her choices, angry at her for not listening to her family, angry at the people around her for letting her make bad decisions. Throughout all of this, she falls in love with a much older man, Blake. You may fall for him as well but it doesn't take long for you to hate him. 

Throughout her journal, you will read her struggle with drugs, addiction, love, and so much more. You will read Lucy’s diary, enter her world, feel her emotions, you will feel as if you are right by her side through all of this. There are few books that have made me feel the emotions I felt while reading this book. While the plot may be a bit outlandish at times it still has a good message. A message that will stick with you, as the reader, for many years to come.