The Picture of Dorian Gray Book Review | Teen Ink

The Picture of Dorian Gray Book Review

By TheLegend679 BRONZE, Singapore, Other
TheLegend679 BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Social media has become a significant part of everyday life. Although its increased presence carries many benefits, it also contains several downsides, one of which is permitting people to create fake identities. By manipulating very simple tools, people can forge a perfect appearance, which allows them to trick others. Although set in a period well before the rise of online posturing, Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray explores how the power of youth and beauty leads to the demise of many people.

Throughout the novel, youth and beauty are major themes. As Dorian Gray himself demonstrates, outward appearance can entirely determine identity and fate. Dorian’s looks impress the wealthy and confer him instant popularity. Everyone he meets loves him. Basil Hallward even uses him as a model and paints a magnificent piece of art in his image. Throughout the novel, apart from delivering social prestige, appearance provides an escape from the brutalities of the world. Characters who appear beautiful are treated differently; they are given more opportunities. Youth and physical attractiveness become valuable commodities in a society that prizes beauty so highly. During their first meeting, Lord Henry reminds Dorian that he will soon lose his most precious attributes. This suggests that Dorian is interesting only because of his attractive appearance, without which, he would be nobody. 

Prizing beauty above all else leads to major problems. The most significant is the emergence of superficial love and relationships. Most characters in the novel do not care whether someone else’s heart is pure. They only care if the other person is beautiful. Because of this superficial and external focus, Dorian abandons his morals and acts how he wishes. He sins repeatedly and ruins other people’s lives, yet he is always welcomed because of his appearance.

Dorian becomes obsessed with his appearance and wishes to remain eternally youthful. His hopes become fulfilled as his portrait ages, while he remains young and beautiful. This allows Dorian indulges in a life of chaos as he can't see the consequences of his actions on his face, demonstrating the corruption of youth and beauty.

Beauty does not directly cause Dorian’s downfall. Instead, the influence surrounding his beauty causes him to falter. Henry’s words about his soon-to-be lost looks have a profound effect on Dorian, influencing him to behave immorally. He is not only the person Basil first met as his words only cause Dorian anger, which leads to Basil’s death. This shows Dorian’s devotion to Lord Henry’s words. He is willing to kill a dear friend who doubts his way of life. Lord Henry’s promoted lifestyle ultimately leads to Dorian’s moral destruction. When Dorian loses his innocence and morality, he falls deeper into a life of sin. In a society where appearances are everything, he is free to destroy himself.

Today’s society is no exception. The appreciation of beauty is a major part of every culture. Being young and beautiful is an ideal deeply rooted in our everyday life. Advertisements and TV shows portray a beauty standard that people should reach. People use makeup and accessories to make themselves look younger and more appealing. Dorian is a reminder of the consequences of focusing too much on the outside when the inside of a person is much more important.