The Perks of Being a Wallflower review | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower review

By 4nowak SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4nowak SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear friend

When I started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, it was because I saw the movie first and enjoyed the story. My sister and I would talk about or look at each other when the song “Come On Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners would come on and then we would say, “We should learn the dance!” I knew the plot and thought it would be nice to read when I had extra time during my ACT. So, I started to read the book and I loved it
The book is written as an epistolary novel, which means it is written in a letter format, and instead of chapters it's in four parts. It is a coming-of-age story about the main character, Charlie’s first year of high school. In the story, he goes through past trauma, makes new friends, dates, tries to fit in, and deals with mental health. Because of how it is formatted, it makes it really easy to understand the timeline. It feels like its past events are still going on, which immersed me in Charlie’s point of view.
The relationships between all the characters are very realistic. Each charter we meet is very relatable in one way or another with Charlie being kind of antisocial and Sam almost seen as a golden girl to him and helping him with what he needs and wanting to be there for him, and his sister, although mean and seeming a bit standoffish, is there when he really needs her and the same reversed which also makes them feel very realistic as if I know them.
The book's pacing to the actual school year, with it being slow at the start of the school year but by the end it's a lot faster which is much like how the school year goes by. In this book, they also use a lot of pop culture references to the time period mainly through music, literature, and film. There is a lot of allusion and intertextuality within the book as well with Charlie being a book lover so it is fun to read know that book, the music referenced in the book is also nice to know about because it's very easy to find, and listen to and then you can connect to the characters even more.
If you have seen the movie I would definitely read the book. you get more insight into the charters and the relationships, and if you read the book I would watch the movie. it's a really good adaptation and keeps to the plot very well. The book felt very real and it was nice to read it and know other people could be reading and relating to the characters like I was.
If you are ever in need of a fairly quick and very good read I would definitely recommend The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It is a relatable and realistic book no matter your age. But If you plan on reading it, I would consider looking up the heavy themes of it because some things in it might trigger a response in some.

Love always,
                                                                                                        Kaylee