The Reflection of Materialism Toward American Dream | Teen Ink

The Reflection of Materialism Toward American Dream

March 19, 2023
By MaxY BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California
MaxY BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mr. Gatsby

As I read about your exquisite parties and your luxurious lifestyle,  I start wondering about how materialism has impacted our society in modern days. At the party you hosted, I couldn’t imagine the cost of “[the]  buffet  tables,  garnished  with  glistening  hors-d’oeuvre,  spiced  baked  hams  crowded  against  salads  of harlequin designs and pastry pigs and turkeys.” Why do your guests need so much food? And why would you offer an open bar that is “stocked with gins and liquors and with cordials” (44)? Is it to build your ego with people like “the men … talking with curious intensity to a young actress” (57) But I understand because in the world today, people are also willing to spend their income on things to impress others and raise their social status. Moreover, as I examine your character and story, I can clearly tell that materialism is not the key to happiness or contentment. 

In our current society, people could spend money on a wide range of products. From luxury cars and elite clothing brands to million-dollar vacations and the latest technology. The reason for these purchases could be different, but it eventually comes down to social status and the recognition of others. This is very similar to your times, Gatsby. We now live in a culture that values wealth and appearance more than anything like morality, and people believe that having expensive things will make them more desirable and attractive in the eyes of others. 

So how does the desire for material goods express our anthropology and teleology? It appears to be that we are turning into a deeply insecure and competitive species. We keep trying to prove that we are superior to others. Nowadays people start to lose focus on things that truly matter to life such as love, friendship, faith and personal growth, and instead decide to focus on accumulating more and more stuff which they might not use at all. The innate nature of man reveals that they are compelled to compete against one another. Materialism discloses a person’s insecurity and reinforces their desire for external goods while winning in the race for popularity. 

Can material goods bring us true happiness? It's a classic question which has been raised since the existence of capitalism. And there isn’t a final answer to this question. While owning nice-looking things may provide temporary pleasure and satisfaction, it is still not a sustainable source of happiness. In fact, this type of satisfaction often leads to a sense of emptiness and dissatisfaction. 

Your character is such a good example in this scenario. Despite your incredible wealth and social status, you are still consumed by a sense of emptiness. Your pursuit of displaying  material goods reflects your desperate attempt to win back Daisy. Have you considered that this represents the kind of love and connection that cannot be bought with money?

So, Mr. Gatsby, as you look back on your life and reflect on the choices you’ve made, I wish that you can realize that materialism is not the key to happiness or success. The only way to find true happiness and fulfillment in life is through cultivating meaningful relationships and pursuing personal growth. Let’s hope that both you and I can learn from your story to strive to live with more purpose and meaning, rather than simply accumulating more wealth and possessions. 

 


Sincerely, your friend.

Max