Book review: The Fault in Our Stars | Teen Ink

Book review: The Fault in Our Stars

By s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey

you are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. you are your own voyeur -margaret atwood

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is undoubtedly one of the most famous YA books out there. For good reason, too- the novel is very emotional and brings about the important themes of life and death, of identity and acceptance. 

The book’s main character is Hazel, a teenager with cancer. Hazel has been struggling with her cancer for pretty much her whole life, and it seems as if every day is the same. Until she meets the fiery Augustus, another fellow cancer patient who starts to light up her life and open up her future possibilities. Together, the pair go on adventures and share treasured literature, causing Hazel to finally start enjoying her life and going out. 

I absolutely love this book and think it is a must read for any teenager. This book is on the same status as We Were Liars, All the Bright Places, Looking for Alaska, and Thirteen Reasons Why. Basically, this book is an amazing introduction into the life of a teenager and the complex transition between childhood and adulthood. This novel is definitely very tragic, and has its emotional ups and downs, making for a very interesting and engaging book. Readers will find themselves rooting for Hazel and Augustus’ relationship, and will be rooted until the very last page, which will leave an indelible mark that leaves one thinking about the book for days after.