Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison | Teen Ink

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

December 1, 2022
By BAM0990 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
BAM0990 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The novel, Invisible Man written by Ralph Ellison is an American classic. Written in first person, this unique perspective helps the reader to understand the troubling situations in which the narrator experiences. The story reveals the hardships of an African American male who deals with racial discrimination. He strives to find a place within a white society and is referred to as invisible due to his inability to make a difference. The novel is a direct portrayal of life for a Black American in the pre-Civil Rights era exposing the hardships and prejudices that are often overlooked.


 Written in an honest, yet reflective POV, the book is also both unsettling and disturbing. Conflict towards color is an underlying problem throughout the novel which creates heartfelt emotions experienced by the reader. 


The author incorporates many types of literary devices as well. Referenced in chapter one, the narrator gets roped into a battle royale in which his town’s white elites force him to fight blindfolded against a group of other black boys. It states, “it seemed as though all nine boys had turned upon me at once…. My saliva became like hot bitter glue. A glove connected with my head, filling my mouth with warm blood (Ellison 22).” This scene foreshadows several later events in which the narrator finds himself in tense relationships with other black men. A simile is also apparent. 


Overall, this book is very compelling and has hooked me as a reader. It provides insight of a time in American history that we as citizens must understand. The narrator also helps me to live in the shoes of the main character and evokes emotion through the heartfelt difficulties endured by the Invisible Man. Seen through imagery, in chapter 16 it says, “three mounted policemen loomed beneath the circular, snow-sparkling beam of the street lamp…Three white men and three black horses (Ellison 337).” The significance of this scene is to show white empowerment and expand on how blacks have been used as sources of labor. In other words, the blacks are those who support the whites. 


Overall, I enjoy how the book ends in a forgiving manner and shows how the blacks began to stand their ground and embrace their culture. In chapter 21 it states, “two black pigeons rising above a skull-white barn to tumble and rise through still, blue air (Ellison 452).” The image symbolizes the black community soaring above the whites as the story concludes. 


In conclusion, it’s important and worthwhile for others to understand American culture and be informed on the lifestyle of African Americans in the 1930s. Racism is an unhealthy practice and has the potential to dominate future generations if not taken seriously. Worldwide, we must come together and respect all groups and their lifestyles. With that being said, I’ll definitely recommend this book to others!