Normal People by Sally Rooney | Teen Ink

Normal People by Sally Rooney

By s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey

you are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. you are your own voyeur -margaret atwood

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Switching from the point of view of the two main characters, Sally Rooney’s novel is written in an unconventional simplistic style. This book is about romance, but not your typical happy relationship. Marianne and Connell have grown up together in Ireland and seem to be the wrong people at the wrong time for each other. However, the pair keep on inexplicably coming back and connecting. This is a story about unconventional love across social boundaries and forgiveness.

Starting off with the two in high school, Marianne is from a well to do family, yet was the black sheep in school. Although extremely intelligent, Marianne garnered dislike from classmates and teachers alike because of her careless and callous attitude. The only person who truly connected and saw Marianne was Connell. Connell is at the other end of the high school hierarchy- popular, friendly, liked by everyone, and a football jock. Normally the two never talk in school but are drawn together at first by Connell’s mother’s job as Marianne’s maid. It turns out, both of the two have dysfunctional families and can only truly be themselves around each other. This does not mean that their relationship was always smooth; the two constantly drift in and out of a relationship after high school and into college. But even between large time gaps, Marianne and Connell somehow meet again and sometimes rekindle the spark of their previous love. Each of the characters experience growth in relationships with each other and with others, comforting the other with loss and regrets.
This book was at times difficult to follow and be interested in, but overall has a sweet and melancholy note that makes it a worthwhile rainy day read.