The Living by Matt de la Peña | Teen Ink

The Living by Matt de la Peña

By vxroni_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California
vxroni_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience." - Denis Waltey

I usually don’t like reading books, but reading The Living was extraordinary. Once I started to read more of The Living, I wanted to know what would happen next. What was interesting about this book was how the main character survived a tsunami, because I think it would be impossible to still be alive after a tsunami.  Honestly, I think the storyline was good and this book is good for anyone who likes fiction stories that sound real. 

The Living by Matt de la Peña was about a guy named Shy, who works on a cruise ship to help make money for his family. There was this disease that a few of his family members caught. Then a bad storm happens, and a big tsunami comes. Luckily he survived and escaped with a few people. 

The main character was shy and he wasn't really a wealthy guy. I think he was a unique character because he was pretty brave and very caring in my opinion. He was in a lot of  pain, but he still helped the people on the cruise ship when the tsunami hit. There were a few people that were bad to him, but he still helped them escape the ship.  

I would recommend this book, because it has a good story line and also a little plot at the end of the book. The characters are well written and the details were also well written too. The details were really good, because I can picture what's happening in my mind. Overall, I think The Living is a good book and it’s great for anyone that likes reading fiction books.

This is the first book I actually really enjoyed reading and I finished reading too.