The Yankee Years by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci | Teen Ink

The Yankee Years by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci MAG

May 28, 2009
By Alex Krostich BRONZE, Commack, New York
Alex Krostich BRONZE, Commack, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to manage one of the most successful and controversial teams in baseball history? The Yankee Years, by former Yankees' Manager Joe Torre and Tom Verducci goes behind the scenes with the Yankees from 1996 to 2007.

Some fans thought this book went against the “clubhouse code” (what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse). I disagree. What Torre had to say was so interesting, I would recommend this to all fans of baseball and not just Yankee fans (like me).

The book talks about winning the World Series, what it is like to be a manager, team chemistry, and the ongoing steroid controversy. The book also touches on many of the positive parts of Torre's career as Yankees' manager, including his strong relationship with Derek Jeter.

My favorite part is the section on the 1998 Yankees. They were one of the best teams in Yankee history, winning 114 regular season games, then a Major League record, and defeating the San Diego Padres to win their 24th World Series. It was also the year that Yankees pitcher David Wells threw a perfect game. Torre's job was on the line less than a week into the season because of a 1-4 start. George Steinbrenner and the Yankees were “desperate to win” and would even consider firing their World Series–winning manager in order to do so.

The Yankee Years is one of the best baseball books I've ever read. It's full of detail and goes behind the scenes to show a side of baseball I've never seen before. If you love baseball as much as I do, I'd ­recommend it.