Sherlock - thou art the ruler of all minds! | Teen Ink

Sherlock - thou art the ruler of all minds!

By khrishakramanathan GOLD, Mumbai, Other
khrishakramanathan GOLD, Mumbai, Other

Life is a boomerang. It's up to you whether this intimidates you or empowers you.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is the first detective novel I read, and it kindled my enthusiasm in this genre. Though I read it in 6th grade, it is one of my favorite books for several reasons. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of the beloved character Sherlock Holmes, was a physician before he became a writer. It is fascinating to see how he applied his observational skills as a physician to write investigational novels. In addition, the attention to detailing allows one the power to imagine as the story and its characters unfold. Though set in ancient English background, the book engages the reader of every time and generation. 

The story begins with the legendary Sherlock asking Watson to deduce the characters of a person by observing a cane. It is delightful to see the minute details drawn by mere observation. Dr. Montimer, the cane's owner, arrives and provides details of the mystery that Sherlock has to address. The mysterious death of Charles Baskerville is on similar lines as the legend of his ancestor Hugo Baskerville, and this is what Sherlock has to solve. The story has interesting elements of mystery, spy, and crime with the added angle of the supernatural. These aspects are finally explained scientifically by Holmes. 

There is no dull moment in the story, and it is unpredictable at each turn of events. The action reaches zenith at the climax, where the mystery is finally solved. There are no loopholes in the story, with convincing details and explanations to the entire plot weaved along the way.  

The best part to me is the analytical manner in which Sherlock looks at every event and detail during the story. All others are drawn into believing that supernatural events are driving the mysteries at Baskerville. Holmes, on the other hand, is critical, evaluating the scenarios and looking for objective proof. Watson, who unconditionally supports Sherlock while offering his take on events, is an unfailing friend to Sherlock. Their interactions are engaging and provide an interesting read. 

Additionally, the sheer beauty of the language and narrative is a literary delight to any reader. The detailed character sketch of Sherlock paints a vivid picture to the reader. However, an impatient mind may want to skip these and jump right into the plot. 

A timeless classic, the book is worth a read for most age groups. Anyone in the mood for a sleuthing adventure, or someone looking to quench their literary thirst, should reach out for this book to make the most of a Sunday morning.