Frankenstein Review | Teen Ink

Frankenstein Review MAG

By MicWang GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
MicWang GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

The second time I perused Frankenstein, I had a different experience. The first time I finished the novel, what remained with me was the selfishness and ugliness reflected throughout the novel. This time, I responded more strongly to the monster, and although it sounds strange, the birth of the monster became for me not only the embodiment of the author's insight into technology, but also a reflection on life.

Mary Shelley's mother died after giving birth to her, and she did not have a good relationship with her father. We can therefore imagine that she lived in the shadow of a broken background. While reading, I felt a strong sense of rage and powerlessness when the monster was born. I believe that many people have the experience of sulking when they encounter frustration, such as after being scolded by their parents. “Why am I in this world,” he or she might think? “I didn't ask you to give birth to me!” Alas! Aren't we all people who were forcibly born without hitting the confirmation button? Then we were randomly assigned families, appearances, and personalities. Compared to the monster, we are extremely lucky: at least we are not as hideous as it is, and we have our own names. Mary Shelley's monster certainly sets us on a completely opposite path, leading people to the bright side.

After my second reading, I began to hate the tragic ending of the novel. Even if being born is not your own choice, you do not have to feel out of place and live resentfully all the time. Instead, you say to your creator, I do not know why you let me come into this world, but since I am already here, I will be happy, enjoy my life, and live well. You have an obligation to me, but I do not need you to be responsible, so please do not interfere with my life. We each take care.

How many broken families are there in this world like Mary Shelley's! Some children are born with damaged families; some are abandoned by their parents, with no one to take responsibility for them. They are somehow like the monster: isolated and unaccompanied. In such desperate situations, many choose suicide. Brave children! Life is for you. Learn from the book and the author. You should be responsible for yourself.