An Ember in the Ashes | Teen Ink

An Ember in the Ashes

By Vintageparis BRONZE, Panjim, Other
Vintageparis BRONZE, Panjim, Other

“Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars”

J.R.R Tolkien

An Ember in the Ashes follows the story of Laia, a Scholar and Elias Veturias, a Martial and a mask. Set in in Serra, a place where Scholars the native inhabitants are treated horribly, killed or sold as slaves. Laia poses as a slave for The Commander, the head at Blackcliff Academy, which is where Elias lives and trains. Will Laia be able to complete her mission,will Elias ever get a chance to live the life he craves so much?

I started reading this book firstly because this book was on almost every single list of must read YA books. Second of all, I read in a review that Serra is inspired by Ancient Rome, and I love anything to do with Ancient Rome. Along with the main characters there are other lovable characters like Helene, Darrin, Keenan, Izzi, etc. I love the fact that it the story is told from two different points of view, because if it wasn't written this way the story would feel really empty. I definitely do the think that this book deserves all the praise that it gets, and I hope everyone else reading this book will have as much fun and excitement I had when I was reading it.