Beneath A Scarlet Sky | Teen Ink

Beneath A Scarlet Sky

June 6, 2021
By Reagan0703 SILVER, Bakersfield, California
Reagan0703 SILVER, Bakersfield, California
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I had been wandering in a library, hopelessly searching for a book that wouldn't bore me to death, when I found "Beneath A Scarlet Sky." As I was roaming the filled shelves for nearly an hour I began to lose hope that a book would actually spark my interest and not be one of those books that I mindlessly flip the pages to. It wasn't until I was at the end of one row of shelves when a dark red cover caught my eye and a title that did the very thing each title should do: draw me in and leave me wondering. "Beneath A Scarlet Sky," it was as though in four words I was hooked on a book that I had not yet read. I picked it up, examined it, read a few pages, and then headed to the checkout with no doubt in my mind that this was going to be a good book. 

I tried to soak in each and every word as I read over the tales of a young Italian boy enduring World War 2 and rebelling against the Nazis which was based on the true story of Pino Lella's life. Each page was a new thrilling adventure that left you wondering what would come next and what other obstacles he would face. From escaping bombardments to climbing over harsh mountains to spying for underground organizations, you could see how the character developed from a young boy to a war-worn man. It was beautifully portrayed through the descriptive language that the author, Mark T Sullivan, used to accurately convey the main character's story into something that could be felt by the people who didn't live it.

The emotions that are felt through the book radiate into you as you absorb each word. It leaves you feeling the effects of independence, maturity, hope, despair, struggles, and even young love. It's a compelling story that inspires you to fight for your own beliefs as well as for the ones you love. It represented internal conflicts that can be related to by many people of different backgrounds which created an outstanding connection between the reader and the story. I was amazed at the number of life lessons and hardships Pino had to face over the short period of two years and I was even more amazed by how well the author showcased his development as well as the change in his thought process. 

I was awe-struck at how well the emotions and struggles were conveyed to the reader. As well as how the mental and physical effects of war influence people of all ages, both old and young, naive and wise, innocent and guilty. "Beneath A Scarlet Sky" was able to open a new perspective to war for those who did not live it in a way that shows all the tolls that war has on families, jobs, communities, and on one's spiritual, mental, financial, and physical well being in a way that I have not seen nor read before. When I say that it was one of those books that once you start reading you can't stop, I mean it! That book lived in my hands 24/7 until I read the very last word and it was worth every minute that it took.  


The author's comments:

"Beneath A Scarlet Sky" by Mark T. Sullivan is based on the true story of Pino Lella, a young Italian boy who fought against the Nazi army in his own unique way. It is a thrilling and captivating must-read!