Hamlet's Medium-Rare Madness | Teen Ink

Hamlet's Medium-Rare Madness

Hamlet, written by Shakespeare, is about a Denmark prince named Hamlet who goes through an internal battle for years over whether he should kill his uncle, who is accused of being a murderer by the ghost of Hamlet’s father. Hamlet debates for years over how and when he should kill his uncle, King Claudius, all the while doubting whether the ghost of his father has good intentions. Hamlet also pretends to be mad by leading on a girl named Ophelia, who falls in love with Hamlet. This tragic play ends with numerous deaths, betrayal, corruption, and madness. In Shakespeare's Hamlet, Hamlet’s madness is caused by the ghost of King Hamlet’s instructions for revenge against Claudius and the traveling group of actors when they aid Hamlet’s revenge plan, which proves that Hamlet’s downfall is influenced by outside factors. 

The ghost of King Hamlet causes Hamlet’s madness because he instructs Hamlet to kill his killer, which happens to be King Claudius, who is Hamlet’s step-dad. Hamlet does not have time to grieve his late father because the ghost appears and tasks him with killing his uncle. The ghost forces Hamlet to replace his grief with anger: “Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder” (Act 1. Scene 5. Line 31). Also, the ghost only appears to Hamlet, which implies that killing Claudius is Hamlet’s ‘destiny.’ Hamlet is now willing to risk everything to achieve revenge on his father and destroy King Claudius. Furthermore, Hamlet has started to lose his sense of purpose beyond killing Claudius and begins to fight with his mother, Gertrude. He accuses her of being a terrible parent and forgetting about her first husband, King Hamlet. Polonius, Ophelia’s father, then shouts, trying to prevent Hamlet from harming his mother, when Hamlet stabs Polonius thinking he is Claudius. The ghost then reappears to Hamlet to encourage him to stay on his task to avenge his father: 

Do not forget. This visitation

Is but to whet thy almost blunted purpose.

But look, amazement on thy mother sits.

O, step between her and her fighting soul.

Conceit in weakest bodies strongest works (Act 3. Scene 4. Lines 126-130).

From then on, Hamlet spirals into his madness. Hamlet hides Polonius’ body, speaks in riddles, addresses skulls as old friends, and duels Laertes. Therefore, because King Hamlet’s ghost has quested Hamlet with the purpose of revenge on Claudius and only appears to keep Hamlet on the ‘right’ track, the ghost is causing Hamlet’s madness and eventual death.

The traveling group of actors causes Hamlet’s madness because they give Hamlet a tool in his plot to expose Claudius. Through the actors, Hamlet discovers a way to confirm whether Claudius killed King Hamlet. Hamlet instructs the actors to do the play Mousetrap to discover Claudius’ reaction to a murder. In Mousetrap, the nephew of the King pours poison into the King’s ear, which reflects how Claudius killed King Hamlet:

Thoughts black, hands apt, drugs fit, and time

agreeing,

Confederate season, else no creature seeing,

Thou mixture rank, of midnight weeds collected,

With Hecate’s ban thrice blasted, thrice infected,

Thy natural magic and dire property

On wholesome life usurp immediately (Act 3. Scene 2. Lines 280-286).

The actors readily accept Hamlet’s guidance during their rehearsal to not act up their performance and to make the performance more realistic. Furthermore, Hamlet uses the actors as a tool to institute his plan to expose Claudius, which is successful. Claudius reacts to the nephew poisoning the King by calling the play to a stop and fleeing from the room. After Claudius escapes, Hamlet follows to kill Claudius. However, Hamlet discovers Claudius who seems to be praying. Hamlet then second guesses killing Claudius at that moment because Hamlet does not want to kill Claudius only for him to have a clean conscience. Because of the traveling group of actors, Hamlet has the opportunity to confirm whether Claudius killed King Hamlet or not. However, Hamlet is closer than ever to killing Claudius, which furthers his madness and desire for revenge. Also, Claudius can discern whether Hamlet believes him to be involved in King Hamlet’s death, which causes Claudius to start taking drastic measures against Hamlet. Therefore, because the traveling group of actors are an instrument in Hamlet’s revenge plan and provide a way for Hamlet to learn the truth about King Hamlet’s murder, they cause Hamlet’s madness and eventual downfall. 

In Hamlet, written by Shakespeare, Hamlet, the prince of Denmark, is driven to madness by a task set upon him by his father’s ghost to avenge him by killing his uncle, King Claudius, and uses a traveling group of actors to do so, which ultimately leads to Hamlet’s demise. When the ghost of King Hamlet appears, the ghost only speaks to Hamlet, which convinces Hamlet that killing his uncle to avenge his late father is his responsibility. Hamlet's new mission prevents him from truly mourning the loss of his father because Hamlet is too busy scheming a way to destroy Claudius. The ghost only reappears once to ensure that Hamlet is not straying from the path of revenge on King Claudius. The ghost’s appearance and manipulation of Hamlet lead to his downfall. Also, the traveling group of actors provides a tool for Hamlet to use in his grand plan to kill Claudius. Because of the actors, Hamlet has a way to discover if Claudius is guilty of murdering King Hamlet. Hamlet is also able to be closer than ever to killing Claudius, which leads to Hamlet’s renewed desire for revenge, his madness, and eventual downfall. Hamlet is full of death, revenge, corruption, madness, and sadness, but the play has an unsatisfying ending with Hamlet finally avenging his father while also forgoing his own life to achieve his goal. To avenge a loved one, a person should not risk their own life or sanity to achieve their goal.