One Of The Boys | Teen Ink

One Of The Boys

By liv2556 BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
liv2556 BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri

Imagine growing up in a house surrounded by boys, you have always been very tomboyish, until you're forced to get a job and start learning about makeup and you start to get close with your neighbor who has always been like a brother to you and you never thought that that would change.

On The Fence by Kasie West is a coming of age story about the struggle many girls go through as they get older and change who they are for someone to like them even if there are people who like them, for who they are not who they pretend to be for someone else. I recommend this book for young adult readers because the main character is a teenager and readers can relate to her problems.

Charlie has always beaten her brothers at all sports. She was always one of the boys. Her family is  very competitive but they are always there for each other. This book is a contemporary realistic fiction. 

As Charlie changes, she is always herself talking to Braden at night by the fence and never tries to change who she was for him because she never felt like he didn't like here for who she is and she has to realize it 

West keeps readers wanting to learn what Charlie will do when she finally understands her feeling’s for Braden and stops trying to change who she is for someone to like her. Someone she doesn't really like in the first place and who didn't know the real her.

As  readers read through the book, you start to understand why Charlie was never very girly. When she learned about makeup, she thought she needed it to be seen, but she never wanted to change who she was and she never wanted to lose herself for someone else.

West’s dialogue really shows the relationship between the characters and helps readers make a movie behind there eyelids 

After everything Charlie goes through, and she tries to discover who she is no matre how much she wants to change or she thinks she wants to change she realizes that she cant change herself from who she wants to be.

-Olivia 

i had to rite a book review for school so i chose to do it about on of my favorte book ive read this year.