The Crucible | Teen Ink

The Crucible

By yewony03 BRONZE, Tianjin, Other
yewony03 BRONZE, Tianjin, Other

Honored or Forgotten

Throughout the play of The Crucible -written by Arthur Miller- a farmer in Salem named John Proctor is portrayed as a character full of justice and integrity. Despite the fact that Proctor previously had an affair with Abigail Williams, and the village going through a significant confusion regarding the witchcraft, Proctor is still considered as truthful who attempts to tackles the issue to reveal the truth. Although his endeavor and unwillingness to forgive himself Proctor ends his dilemma by choosing death over confessing his sin and blackening his name. After Proctor had torn up his false confession, Proctor cried, “Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!” (Act IV) Proctor’s passionate words show that he firmly believes that his name is too precious to be blackened, which eventually leads him to death. Thus, Proctor’s decision to die noble is to be justified, for he preserved his reputation for his beloved wife and himself, terminated the chaos along with the death of righteous people, and solved his inner thoughts of having to live without sin.

John Proctor acknowledges the influence of his name and reputation can have on his people. When Proctor ripped his confession, it meant that he would rather prefer his name to last than to be forgotten as someone who committed adultery and performed witchcraft. For Salem was heavily influenced by Christians churches, a name was a resource that defined the value of a person. If he were to confess, Proctor’s children, wife, everyone those related to Proctor, would have direct or indirect influence to their life. Proctor, concerned with his family, said, “I have three children- how may I teach them to walk like men in the world, and I sold my friends?” (Act IV) He was concerned. He genuinely wanted to deny the truth of his family in crisis. Proctor, who cared for his family than anyone, willingly sacrificed his precious life so that his dearest people could live justly. Thus, John Proctor died for he cared for his ancestors and descendent reputation.

Proctor forwent his life not only for his family but also because his noble friends were hanged after they confronted with the same dilemma of life and lie. Earlier in the play, the good women Rebecca Nurse, who conveyed deep affection and kindness towards her neighbors, ended her life choosing to let her name last in the town. After Rebecca made a choice, Proctor slowly gained his voice and said, “I can. And there’s your first marvel, that I can. You have made your magic now, for now I do think I see some shred of goodness in John Proctor. Not enough to weave a banner with, but white enough to keep it from such dogs.” (Act IV) Even though John Hale –the town minister- convinced Proctor to confess as he believes that “life is God’s most precious gift; no principle, however glorious, may justify the taking of it,” however, it was not enough to persuade Proctor’s stubbornness. (Act IV) The judge and the minster wholeheartedly wanted to suspend innocent people to die. They also feared the considerable responsibility that would follow after all the darkness that had taken; but it was not to stop. Danforth begged “You misunderstand, sir; I cannot pardon these when twelve are already hanged for the same crime. It is not just.” (Act IV) Although Danforth regrets permitting death to the ones accused of witchcraft, he was not able to stop the crisis. Eventually, Proctor relinquished himself along with good people and maintained the honor of his name, and to prove that his friends died for a valuable outcome. Accordingly, Proctor risked his life for his friends and hoped to end the chaos with his death.

Inner conflict within him led him to choose to be lifeless. Proctor was known to be a noble man and tried his utmost to live as a man filled with integrity. His integrity was   especially shown when he confessed, “In the proper place - where my beasts are bedded. On the last night of my joy, some eight months past.” (Act III) Proctor revealed his affair in the court to prevent his wife from sentencing to death. Proctor’s behavior shows that he is the symbol of ‘just.’ If Proctor were to resign the confession, he would have lived in sorrow, questioning his conscience. Proctor’s inability to forgive himself led him to make a decision to die was; it was a way to forgive himself and hold up his integrity when it had been challenged.

On the other hand, some might suppose Proctor’s decision to be light-weighted. Even though some people argue how Proctor seem not to care about a life made of the image of God, he was a person who believed in morality and virtue than life. Proctor was someone who would not have been able to deal with white lies just for him to skate over something. He instead possesses a personality that is willingly caring for others than to be dishonest. In spite of the fact, Proctor is surely an aristocratic man who has faith in God and wish to attend church weekly. Hence, any other form of method to pull him out of the situation would not have worked on Proctor.

John Proctor was a man who supposes that there is no reason for him to live with no name. His decision to die not only preserved his name and protected his family but also succeeded in stopping the chaos. Additionally, he was able to prove that his friends were not lying in court and kept their friendship together. The guilty sense that Proctor had been facing throughout the whole play was resolved through his choice, offering peace. All in all, John Proctor’s decision of ripping the confession while knowing his future conveys that he good character portraying virtue to the plot.