The Giver book reviewhon | Teen Ink

The Giver book reviewhon

The Giver by Lois Lowry is a book that will make you think for weeks. It will leave you deep in thought and make you contemplate what you've just read. Whether it's the backstory of the town or how the author describes some of the memories, it's just plain beautiful! I was thinking about how our country, the US, compares and contrasts with what The Giver adds to its society. One of the changes are sameness. Sameness can be dangerous because it leaves people wanting more. If you have a red shirt and I have a red shirt and we have to wear it all day, all year round we'll get pretty bored of it. Who would invent things if their were no incentives in society? If there were no honor and the same pay in two different jobs, one being physically demanding and the other being mentally demanding, who would want to do those jobs? No one. You'd feel one and the same. 

The Giver is about a boy named Jonas who tries to find a place in his world. He has a special gift to 'see beyond' which if you read the book will tell you what that means, but for now no spoilers! His family is chosen for him and everyone that he lives with is not biologically related to him. Normally there'd be nothing wrong with this, but in Jonas's case he finds his relationship with his family lacking of one thing. Love. The major conflict in the story comes near the end of the book when Jonas finds out his father does something heinous that he does almost every year, something that he gets paid for. Something that should leave anyone and everyone horrified and scared. 

This book was a like a nice cool drink on the end of a hike. It gave me insight into what was wrong in our society and what was good. It poses questions like, "What would I have in my perfect world?" or, "Who would run our government in this perfect world? Just people or unjust people?" I would reccomend this book to anyone who liked the Hunger Games or Twighlight series. Children will love this book. Middle aged people will love this book. Elderly people will love this book. It's easy to read and not that long. It's the perfect amount of, "It kept me thinking" and "These characters are so easy to relate to but so different in so many ways!" I would rate this book 10/10 and 5/5 stars. If you like reading you should pick it up and not put it down. 

This is my first publication/submission.