Children of Blood and Bone Review | Teen Ink

Children of Blood and Bone Review MAG

By bionichearing BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
bionichearing BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

you good? no you not. you not baby, and it’s okay. you not good and it’s okay. you don’t need to be good all the time - it’s okay to not be good.

H

ave you ever read a book and felt as if you were there with the characters? Although that is the goal for all authors, it isn’t often that the reader can fully immerse themselves into the setting. With Toni Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone, you are able to do exactly that. As you explore the world of Orisha, a land where magic used to flow through the veins of a race called the Maji, you learn of the heartbreak, suffering and healing each character goes through in order to bring freedom to the people whose lifeline was stolen from them.

In the novel, we follow the story of Zélie, Tzain, and Amari – three people on a mission to bring back what the King has eradicated: magic. Zélie is a Maji, and her mother was killed during the raid, a massacre of the magic users and the severing of the connection between the Maji and the Gods. Armed with an artifact that can rebirth the ancient ways of magic, Zélie is determined to finish her journey. Throughout the book, we are able to experience the story from different perspectives, as each chapter is written in the eyes of a single character. The majority of the book is told through the words of Zélie, and we’re really able to see the extent of her development and depth. Although she comes off as quite stubborn and a little selfish at first, once you delve into her backstory through her inner thoughts, you understand her actions and feel like Zélie is one of your close friends. However, because the narrative isn’t just told through her eyes, you are able to explore the minds of every important character, including a mysterious boy named Inan. You can’t have a wonderful book without a few minor inconveniences, and Inan’s progress is one of them. His character is naive, and by the last few chapters, he is still generally the same. However, his mistakes build tension throughout the novel, so everything turns out in the end.

Because the story spans over a long time, in order to keep it interesting, Tomi Adeyemi adds incredible descriptions and details. It feels like you’re strolling through a museum, reliving the perilous journey that Zélie, Tzain, and Amari choose to endure. Lines like, “Oranges and yellows pulse behind its crystal exterior like molten lava” and “The truth cuts like the sharpest knife I’ve ever known” showcase only two of the countless detailed descriptions that help this novel feel less like a book and more like an experience.

In an interview with Audible, Tomi elaborates on one of the reasons she wrote this book – the realization that in most beloved fantasy novels, there aren’t many black characters. In addition to reading a book about three, strong, powerful black people, children can read a book that they love and see themselves in it. In the article, Tomi Adeyemi states, “For as much as there are some people who need to see an allegory of the modern black experience through a fantasy lens, there are also all the kids like me who just need to see themselves in what they love.” This issue is very important to me because I am half black, and growing up I always read books and wondered why there was no one who looked like my father. Children of Blood and Bone is a big step toward not having any children worry about that again.

Children of Blood and Bone is an excellent novel filled with intricate details that keep you reading. Before you know it, you’ll be halfway through the book and dreaming about fighting alongside Zélie and her people. This enchanting story has changed my life, and if you explore the fantastical minds of all the characters, I’m sure it will have a magical impact on yours, too.