Anthem | Teen Ink

Anthem

By aliciaa-xl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
aliciaa-xl SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

In an authoritarian society void of all individuality and personal values, the brilliantly curious mind of a youth seeks to break those boundaries and devote his life to discovery. Anthem by Ayn Rand is a masterfully written novella depicting a dystopian future. Short but detailed, it is composed of fictional diary entries narrated by a boy of an undisclosed age, labeled Equality 7-2521, laced with Rand’s philosophies.

Equality 7-2521 was assigned the job of a street sweeper, but he lives a life of secrecy, defying all laws of his society. In the world of Anthem, all are expected to think the same thoughts and act only as instructed. No matter the punishment, though, he is willing to boldly stand against the authoritarian state for his own beliefs. Through his seclusion, he learns that having his own perspective of the world is a strength and his own joy is the only reason he needs to be alive. Rand’s story boldly reflects the fears of the early 1900s. It served as a warning to the world about the control governments have over their people; our willingness to submit to a powerful force just because they should be right will be our downfall.

Rand’s novels are heavily influenced by her political views, and Anthem is no exception. She grew up in the early 1900s and lived in many collectivist societies, where the larger group is given priority over the individual. After learning a little about her background, the inspiration for the chilling world of Anthem is evident. During my reading of it, I constantly reflected on how our lives are directed. Rand’s use of first-person in this novel is a strong method of establishing a more personal and immersive feel to the reader instead of creating a situation that seems too distant and unfamiliar.

However, although the story is immersive, the characters were not as developed as they could have been. Many of them are mentioned, such as Union 5-3992 and International 4-8818. Rand mentioned intriguing concepts relating to society’s treatment of those with differences or deficiencies, but unfortunately, she did not develop those any further. It was a disappointing choice to only focus on a couple of characters and not have more to display different perspectives in their environment.

Nonetheless, Anthem is a well-written novel that conveys a powerful message warning about the fragility of individuality. The captivating perspective and intriguing concept work together to craft a fascinating narrative of a young man who pursues change in his society. Ayn Rand boldly created a story reflecting her own experiences and philosophies which will certainly leave you thinking about our own reality.