Starters | Teen Ink

Starters

By TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other
TeaOnPluto PLATINUM, Dublin, Other

Starters by Lissa Price is one of my new favourite dystopian YA's. Perfectly combining the thrill of a futuristic sci-fi plot and a cliche forbidden romance, Starters is a brilliant series that I can't wait to continue.

Following Callie, a sixteen year old girl barely surviving a futuristic war, she is forced into a decision that could save her and her brother, or kill her in the process. When she decides to rent her body out for money, she expects a makeover and a fat wad of cash. But when her third rental leads her into the messy life of her renter, she can't help but wonder if there is more to this business than becoming someone new. After Callie unexpectedly gains consciousness during her rental, she learns the real reason behind her contract. Pretending to be someone else, Callie meets Blake, a cute teen with a high positioned and potentially dangerous guardian. More importantly, Callie balances keeping her brother safe and figuring out the mystery behind the company that rents out teen bodies, and why her renter has a gun.

I loved Starters because it was the perfect young adult sci-fi. Callie is a headstrong character with the intention to help her brother, but is dragged into something very complex. The idea of a body bank that rents out teen bodies to old people looking for a second chance at adolescence is a creepy but fascinating idea. The backstory of the war, the armies using deathly spores to commit particular genocide, was also very impressive. I am a huge fan of these close-to-reality but still futuristic plotlines, and I found Starters perfectly combined the best parts of a young adult novel and a scientific disaster. I recommend this book to any fans of Divergent by Veronica Roth or Unremembered by Jessica Brody.