Anastasia: The Broadway Musical | Teen Ink

Anastasia: The Broadway Musical

January 28, 2019
By mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe greatness isn't about being immortal, or glorious, or popular- it's about choosing to fight for the greater good of the world, even when the world's turned its back on you."
-Alex Bailey
"The Land of Stories"


Based off the hit 1977 animated film of the same name, Anastasia is the new Broadway musical stealing the arts of theater lovers everywhere. Though it differs from the film, the musical expresses a powerful storyline and showstopping musical numbers. Some songs you might recognize from the movie, such as the sentimental Once Upon a December or the inspiring Journey to the Past, but others are new and flow with beautiful rhythm, like Land of Yesterday and My Petersburg. The storyline of the musical features your favorites from the movie: Anya, Dmitry, and Vlad, including some newcomers, such as the Countess Lily and Gleb. Gleb, a Bolshevik soldier, takes the place of the supposed villain in the musical, instead of the evil sorceror Rasputin, who was in the 1977 film. Christy Altomare plays Anya on Broadway currently, and has originated the role on Broadway. I can safely say that she is one of my idols due to her lovely voice and skill. Austrailian pop singer, Cody Simpson, acts as Dmitry at the moment and though I saw the amazing Zach Adkins in it, Simpson is said to be doing an outstanding job as well. Overall, I reccomend this show and its soundtrack for its perfect blend of genres- fairy-tale, romance, historical fiction all mixed into one.


The author's comments:

Hands down, best musical.