My Closet, My Cage | Teen Ink

My Closet, My Cage MAG

By IsabellaLB BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
IsabellaLB BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

Sometimes, I plan the words.

Yet they stick in my throat,

to the sides of my mouth,

coating my tongue like taffy.

Sometimes, anger boils in my blood.

But no words come.

My mouth hangs open.

Tongue laying fat and lazy between palate
and teeth,

severed from my brain by slurs.

It mocks my silence.

Sometimes, it spills out, mid-conversation,

pouring onto the floor,

dousing me.

I sit shivering and bare.

Vulnerable;

soaked in truth.

My poem My Closet, My Cage is about my different experiences coming out and wanting to come out. Within three short stanzas it exames the visceral reactions and fear that accompanies preparing to come out, as well as realization of of what has to be done in different circumstances. It is also a prose to poetry poem based off a personal essay I wrote earlier this year.

I am currently senior in high school. I have had an extraordinary life, and throughout I have faced with variety of obstacles. I have a myriad of learning disabilities including dyslexia and dysgraphia. I have also experienced a multitude of medical challenges, including a cleft palate, kyphosis, and in my junior year I had to take a leave of absence from school as I had contracted meningitis and a sleep disorder. Thankfully I have been able to recover and am I now fully back to school and able to write again.

While I have been creating stories of most of my life, it wasn’t until middle school that I began to write down my work. Since then I have worked on novels, short stories, and poems. My writings include many different aspects if my life from my medical history, to insecurities, to my sexuality. My writing is my greatest passion and after overcoming so many obstacles in my short life I am channel it into my work.