Insomniac | Teen Ink

Insomniac

By shunflower GOLD, Shamong, New Jersey
shunflower GOLD, Shamong, New Jersey

I’m seventeen and I’m crazy. My uncle says the two always go together. When people ask your age, he said, always say seventeen and insane.

I can't get to sleep
There's so much I want to see
Hours are cherished

The reason I am up until 4 in the morning every night.

on Aug. 22 2010 at 10:54 am
trombonegirl42 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe." -Neil Gaiman

"Come with uncle," I said, "and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited."
"If a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man." -A Clockwork Orange

i love it as well. i think sometimes brevity can best describe the feeling of something better than 100 words.

on Aug. 20 2010 at 3:25 am
shunflower GOLD, Shamong, New Jersey

Thank you everyone for your feedback! (:

mwahxandxmwa SILVER, Melbourne, Other

"Silence is golden...duct tape is silver" - a random T-shirt

i hate that...its like the only time my brain does something except for fill an empty hole is when i want dont want it toooo! great poem you have captured a lot in your haiku! :D

Niftygrrl BRONZE, Norfolk, Virginia

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”- dr suess

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

I love this!

Short sweet and I can never sleep either =]

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

So well put! One reason I dislike sleep is also that life is so precious that it seems like we waste it in our unconciousness. And the brevity adds to it, that's the point of a haiku. Well done.

DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

nice idea... by the peom doesnt flow very well.

on Aug. 19 2010 at 9:20 am
Shminkanator5000 SILVER, Rochester, New York

"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

I do like it, but i think you could totally add on to it! I'd be very interested in reading a longer version. This is very good though! Check out some of my work if you have a sec!

on Aug. 19 2010 at 8:35 am
TheOcherousRodentia PLATINUM, Toronto, Other

"Life is infinitely growing;
It's capacity of love and fear is impossible
To calculate by the means of math, or
The properties of science, and to conatain
Its ferious unpredictability is only a virtue
That humans despire

I like it! I think it relates to most teenagers who can`t sleep due to what you said in your poem. Keep up the good work, and can you check out some of my poems? Thanks, keep on writing!