Dear Future Soulmate | Teen Ink

Dear Future Soulmate

By kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire
kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire

Dear Future Soulmate,

I will want to write you letters.  I hope that’s okay.  Even if we’re not apart, and there’s something I need to tell you but I can’t think of how to effectively explain it in person, I will write you a letter.  I hope you don’t mind reading. 
    My mind thinks better when I’m writing.  I think it’s similar to how some people need to talk with their hands.  If you were to tape their hands to their side, they would probably stumble and trip all over their words while trying to say something important.  I do this without the tape. 
    As you will one day know, I cannot tell stories orally to save my life.  On more than one occasion, you will get annoyed at my pauses, at my poor chronological processing, and my repeated “and-thens.”  But I hope you will still listen to me.  I hope you will still want to hear what I have to say.  Because maybe out of all the people on this earth, you are meant to be the one person who will be able to hear what I’m really trying to say. 
    Know that before we even meet, I am yours. I’ll have been waiting for you every day of my life.  Not once will I have given myself to anyone in the way I will give myself to you.  My whole self.  I’ll ask you to treat it with the same respect I do. 

Yours truly then, now, and forever,
Your Future Soulmate

I wrote this at a time when I needed to remind myself that I am worth waiting for that right person, and my hope is that it reaches others in the same way.