Skies | Teen Ink

Skies

By AlexxJuuzou SILVER, Winston Salem, North Carolina
AlexxJuuzou SILVER, Winston Salem, North Carolina

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

Your lips upturned and you smiled at me that day
The day when the skies turned to vivid colors and the sun became brighter
Your eyelashes casted shadows on you cheek bones while your hair caught the sunlight's rays
A laugh arose from you as you hugged me and my head suddenly became lighter
Cherished those moments, the laughs, jokes and tease knowing it was in some way differently
I knew the risks, I knew the consequences and for those few moments I didn’t care
Yet I saw it before you knew, the way in your beautiful eyes fear and sadness began flickering
Beforehand, there was too much to lose but I saw it coming although I did nothing I swear
That day when I touched the sky while being gray is the day that I began to slowly regret
I should’ve given you time, all the time in the world to allow the skies to turn and fade blue
Yet because of me you slowly became a distortion of doubt while I felt like a sudden threat
In a way I understand your reasons, as the sky began once again filled with vivid ombre hues
That day however was and is the day everything, without a word became slowly undone
That day was the day of all days I learned to only look at the skies from afar.

This poem is based on my emotions at the time, when in pain of a heartache due to losing someone I still care about.