Only In America: I Thank You Today and Every Day | Teen Ink

Only In America: I Thank You Today and Every Day

October 12, 2016
By Nat11 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Nat11 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best version of yourself if you."


Only in America does a young boy, my grandfather, escape from a concentration camp in Germany to immigrate to the United States. He spoke no English and held only a few coins, but passed the Statue of Liberty with tears of joy running down his frail cheeks. Only here will this immigrant selflessly enlist himself to fight in world war two or his new nation. I thank you, today and everyday, Otto Salomon.
Only in America will a man who shattered his leg at Pearl Harbor wear a survivor hat to remind himself and others of our great nation. This man, Milton Mapou, says, “It brings something out in you when someone thank you for your service.” Our country is built on heroic men and women like him. I thank you, today and everyday, Milton Mapou.
Only in America will a businessman from the South Tower named Joe Dittmar painfully watch a security guard lying on the floors using his final moments to courageously sing “God Bless America” until his death on 9/11. The next time I sing this song, I will sing it with the pride and integrity of this man. When my hand goes to my heart and my eyes beam toward the flag, I see the faces of those who gave their lives for me. I thank you, today and everyday, Sir.
Only in America will a young man named Nick from Waukesha, Wisconsin, courageously join the Army to walk in in the footsteps of his deceased father. “My father’s strength and legacy must live on,” he says. Only here do we have unconditional love for our family and our country. I thank you, today and everyday, Nick Hernandez.
Only in the United States of America do people sacrifice their lives for our country. Memorial Day is about the people who make our country’s heart beat. It is about the men and women who die for the soil we so proudly stand on. Only in America. I thank you, today and everyday.