What Our Parents Warned Us About | Teen Ink

What Our Parents Warned Us About

By David.Oberteniak DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
David.Oberteniak DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

“Dating is different than how our parents described it from when they were young. I don’t mean it’s gotten worse, but it’s at least become a bit more promiscuous. There’s no such thing as a ‘High school sweetheart” any more, because there are too many short relationships and people being used for there to ever be a singular sweetheart.

It’s difficult, I know, when someone tells you they want to leave home with you, and never come back. They want to burn every bridge, and find some beautiful place to get lost, lost in love, and the next you hear from them, they are already in love with someone else, and they have been the entire time. You think they just played you like a fiddle, and they did, and it's something you have to think about every day all of a sudden. And to think, the entire time, they were saving you from your first heartbreak.

I know it’s difficult when you think you’re ready to move on, and when you do, the person feels bad about it because they’ll know the person who screwed you over. and you’ll wonder why, then, if they’re such good friends, they didn’t know you had been with them? And you realize it’s because they never talked about you, or showed you off to the world like you did them. You were never their world, not even a star. it seems as if you were just a weed in their garden.

I know it’s difficult, when your friends come and tell you they’ve seen your first heartbreak, working at a local chain, and that they recognized your friend, and didn’t care. It’s impossible to tell if they were putting on an act, or if they did in fact forget you entirely, but it is certain that their elbow is a discolored, blue hue, and they’ve been spending ages forgetting you, and they seem to be doing it well. They always said they preferred being high.

I know our parents didn’t have to deal with such things, and thank god they didn’t. I believe this generation is going to be of the most emotionally scarred we’ve ever seen, from all of the monogamous thoughts, but polyamorous actions. Dating is not for the weak of heart.