Are We There Yet? | Teen Ink

Are We There Yet?

By shri.m23 BRONZE, STOCKTON-ON-TEES, Other
shri.m23 BRONZE, STOCKTON-ON-TEES, Other

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?
This journey’s taking ages.
This journey’s taking ages.
I’ve been on this flight for hours!
I’ve been on this boat for days.
This plane is far too crowded. Why didn’t we get Business Class?
This boat is far too crowded. I need the toilet, and there’s nowhere to go.
There are 50 people waiting to go to the toilet! Why did my mum tell me to go?
There are 200 people on a boat made for 10. Why did they push me on if they knew it was going to be too full?
The flight has landed! Out of my way, people, I want to get out of here!
People are moving about and they boat is swaying. ‘Stop it!’, I yell, ‘You’re rocking the boat!’ I wish I could get out of here.
The customs took two hours! Now the pool at the hotel is closed and I can’t go swimming anymore.
Water is starting to fill the boat, and I can’t swim.
Oh god no, Mum, don’t hold my hand in public! I can cross the road by myself!
Mum, hold my hand, I’m so scared that I’ll get lost in this crowd.
Where’s the taxi? Mum? Dad?
Where’s my little sister? Mum? Dad?
The hotel is really nice! The beds are really soft, and the pillows are fluffy. I feel a bit tired, I think I’ll go to sleep now!
My arms and legs are numb. I am floating on the water. I feel a bit tired, but if I fall asleep I’ll drown.
Goodnight! I can’t wait for tomorrow!
Goodbye. I don’t know if there will be a tomorrow.

We take many things for granted, and we should never do that. There are people out there dying to have even just half of what we have. Those refugees that are being forced to leave their country, imagine if that was you. You have been blessed with a comfortable life and a safe home, you need to be more thankful. So next time, when you’re going on a long journey in your car, sat on your heated seat, think twice before complaining and asking, ‘Are we there yet’?

This piece of writing was based on the refugee situation at the moment. People see things like this in the news and they brush them off so lightly, and then they take what they have for granted. This article was supposed to show the contrast between what most us live in as our reality and what those refugees call reality. I hope it was effective. Thank you for reading! :)

HammadWaseem said...
on Jan. 19 2016 at 8:30 am
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

Awesome! @shri.m23 btw will you check and comment on my teen ink video work, "The Unbeatable Breakdancer"?

on Jan. 19 2016 at 6:41 am
@mira_k Hey Mira! Thank you so much :) definitely!

mira_k GOLD said...
mira_k GOLD, Wellington, Other
You go girl! Keep up the great writing :)

on Jan. 17 2016 at 6:59 am
@PresCocoRain Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm glad you liked it.

PresCocoRain GOLD, Montgomery, Alabama

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.
-Rad Bradbury

This is an eye-opening poem. Sometimes, I do fall into the habit of taking things for granted (I try not to) and since I live well in America I don't have to fight for my life or always doubt that I will survive for tomorrow. This poem really gives a good parallel between first-world and third-world problems, too. I'm not in tip-top cheerio circumstances either, but I need to be more grateful, humble and patient that I do have the things I need. Thanks for writing this poem, shri.m.