Another Empty Bottle | Teen Ink

Another Empty Bottle

By BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania
BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania

"A person's a person, no matter how small." -Dr.Suess

I never thought that such a thing can happen to an honor student,

Never thought that it would esclate the way it did,

Never thought it would go this far.

Never thought our family would be caught in the storm of alcoholism.

I have no clear idea of how the storm gained momentum, but harmless fun quickly went sour over time,

like how and innocent rain shower slowly develops into a destructive hurricane,

leaving nothing functioning in in it's path. 

Slowly, the endless nights of tears flowly uncontrollably from my face for countless nights took its toll. 

I kept thinking, "things will be better if I just go away."

I realized that you can't dance without a body, that there were people who cared and wanted to see my life improve. 

But how can you improve someone if all they care about is that one last drop of booze.

God was on my side that fateful Christmas, 

telling my father that life was not about how drunk you were, and shown him what he had done to his wife and kids.

I was mad at our Savior for a while, 

how can someone who created Life itself almost take it in a flash?

But then I knew that He had done what was best for his children.

People will the past is in the past, but I will forever have to live with the question "Why?" 

The reason I felt that I needed to write this piece is to help me understand what was really going on with my father during my Freshman year of High School. During that time, my father had a problem with alcoholism. I never had any bruises or scars to show for it, but there were times when I cried myself to sleep and worried about divorce. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel when around Chirstmas last year, he promised to get help after we nearly lost him. I hope people will understand that Alcoholism does exsist and it does hurt others.