Utter Silence | Teen Ink

Utter Silence

By jannae BRONZE, Canutillo, Texas
jannae BRONZE, Canutillo, Texas

You see distant clouds hung low to the mountains like a child clings to his mother his first day of kndergarten.

You see a bright yellow butterfly soaring through the ait like an angel as it lands on a flower with delicacy.

You see the purple mountains with its muscular peaks standing tall and ambitious like a mightly warrior who has won a great battle.

You hear the light hum of the distant traffic on the freeway like the sound of an air conditioner blowing ice-cold air on a sunny day.

You hear the graceful sounds of the birds singing like a church choir full of enthusiasm.

You hear the rough sound of insects buzzing past your ear like the sound of chatter in a crammed restaurant.

You smell the faint aroma of flowers swaying back and forth in the soft breeze like a boat rocking gently against the waves.

You taste the strong and bitter scent of nature at the back of your throat like the pungent tast of ripe grapefruit.

You touch the smooth sand in front of you with a piece of gravel shining brightly like a newly bought diamond ring.

You touch the roughness of the rocks beside you that feel like the courseness of your hardworking father's hands.

You imagine a perfect day full of wonder and mystery at the feeling of the sun hitting your back and sweat trickling down your eyebrow. You recall a distant memory coming to you but as it dissolves in the sky, this is where you want to stay... in complete utter silence.

inspiration from this piece came from sitting outside in the silence of nature and writing about its beauty.