All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Literalist17 said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:13 am
this poem is well written and it seems to discuss things many people would be to coi to speak of. well done

monkeyman said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:12 am
This poem is very interesting and great.

Someone_Who_Is_Loved said...
Awesome! With words like yours (that are so truthful) you should have a friend! Take a look at your 324 (now 325) comments and realize that you do have friends! A friend is a person that supports you and these comments are really supportive! Keep up the good work.

BleedingRose said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:47 am
Ha ha I'll be your friend!!! I like this poem a lot, 5 stars! I love books too, but I think I only read two a day! lolz, keep writing :)

adam17 said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:47 am
i dont get it

Emmaxoxo replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:03 am
wat u should get is that IT IS AWESOME!!!

writergirl13 said...
I like it. It's very detailed and original but simple at the same time. I love books too, although not to the point of your character. :)

JordanBlue said...
Ugh! I just can't get enough of this poem! I LOVE IT!

Rose19 said...
I like the last 4 lines of the poem a lot :-)..

kujo96 said...
IM ACTUALLY COMMENTING AGAIN BUT I JUST CANT STOP READING THIS POEM IM SO ATTACHED TO IT I CAN REELY RELATE AND PLZ REPLY TO ME

JordanBlue replied...
Yo dude it's me and I feel exactly the same I just CAN'T stop reading this, it's so addicting!

Danman48 said...
maybe you all should get friends and get a LIFE i was made to make this account in school

JordanBlue replied...
Dude back off! It's just a poem! This person might be the most popular kid in school! Alot of my friends had to make an account in school too. Would you happen to go to a school in Virginia?

RukiaKuchiki123 replied...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 10:57 am
JordanBlue is right (by the way nice name JordanBlue)!!! He very well could be the most popular kid in school. You don't have to take your anger out on someone else's work, just because your angry about being made to make this account. By the way REEEAAALY nice poem, I for one LOVE it!!! I also really like the picture you chose for it. Naruto hugging a girl really goes with the poem. Your character is Naruto looking for a friend. REALLY AWESOME JOB!!! I will put this as one of my favor... (more »)

ahut said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 1:49 am
Gift of a friend
Sometimes You think You'll Be Fine by Yourself
Cause a Dream is a Wish That You Make all alone
Its Easy to Feel Like You Dont Need Help
But Its Harder To Walk On Your Own
You'll Change Inside
When You Realize
The World Comes To Life
And Everythings Bright
From Beginning To End
When You Have a Friend
By Your Side
That Helps You To Find
The Beauty You Are
When You Open Your Heart and
more »)

ellowsammiehere said...
this was a great poem; its states your different and even though you tried to fit in your obviously unique. love your work; keep it up

bmmsgk said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:46 am
if you are rich and smart why do u not have friends or are u shy and nervice to talk to people that will be your friend so good luck with the friend thing and good job on the poem

bmms gc said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 7:56 am
this was a good poem but if you are rich shouldent you be the awsome cool kid in scool bbut i guess not well whetever....mayb you should make this a lil better

Emmaxoxo replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:01 am
THIS POEM IS GREAT THE WAY IT IS!!! i LUV it. GOOD JOB!!!

francinejar said...
wow this hits home all i do is read i could be really social but i choose not to idk y sometimes i want a friend but mainly i want someone who can intellectually stimulate me. so far i am 17 and haven't met one. we'll find our compatible people one day we'll just need to be patient. i too read numerous books a day