The Fall | Teen Ink

The Fall

March 3, 2015
By Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas
Be_Free PLATINUM, Longview, Texas
37 articles 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion overall." -- The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allan Poe


My enemies work non-stop. My "friends" secretly believe I'll never be good enough. My family can't make up their damn minds, because when it comes to me, every thought is a waste of time. 

 

No one tries to understand what's it's like in the darkness, because all they see is light.  They will never understand  what it is to sacrifice their sanity, to never be able to sleep.
Only one has known me all along; a beast inside my mind. He claws at my thoughts and roars in my dreams. He knows what they want to see, and he won't let me be me. So he picks me up and takes me away, farther into the darkness.

I can be certain that he will never let me go.  But I am okay. Because if I am drowning, I can still breathe.  If I am dying, my heart still beats. He made me strong, cunning, and invisible. He made my claws like shards of glass and metallic thorns. He made my mind like an open book in a language only I can read. He made me as effervescent as a never ending sun. 

 

I will survive the fall, and their control over me will be none.


The author's comments:

Maybe it is okay to embrace the darkness, because sometimes the darkness makes you a better person. In our world it is survival of the fittest, and the beast will ensure my survival.