Thunder | Teen Ink

Thunder

October 19, 2014
By Dezzie BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Dezzie BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“Before I am your daughter,
your sister,
your aunt, niece, or cousin,
I am my own person,
and I will not set fire to myself
to keep you warm.”
- 1/? Things To Remember


He washed into my life like a light rain,


Hitting the ground with a light pitter-patter sound.


In a split second it seemed, the rain grew stronger, hurling wet droplets of rage towards the earth.


His fist rammed into my side leaving me shocked and speechless on the ground.


As I laid there, beaten and bruised, he thundered above me shouting obscenities.


When the lighting struck I saw him for what he really was:
A hurricane with plans of destruction.


I realized that the mist from the rain shielded me from the truth.


The rain stopped and with it so did my pain.


Do not be deceived by a sweet smile.


The author's comments:

Growing up, I’ve always despised domestic violence. It was a concept I didn’t understand and I wondered how anyone could lay their hands on another human and feel joy. I think that one question that most people ask is “why didn’t you see it coming?” or “why’d didn’t you end the relationship?” I think that we can never judge the victim for behaving the way they did because, in all honesty, faced with a situation like that I would have no idea how I would react. This poem was written to show that everyone is not who they seem and sometimes it takes a push to see someone for who they really are.