We Are Little Rock Nine | Teen Ink

We Are Little Rock Nine

By bbgawd SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
bbgawd SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

As with most black people there is a burning fire in your vains since birth
unexplainable & irritating.
your body is an emotional skyscraper with glass infrastructure spray painted to look like steel and called strength.
walking through pale faces on this never ending highway my soul cries out.
I continue to step on the white words being screamed at my black face like broken shards of glass
"god, this hurts." I feel numb.
is this what I signed up for?
being an African in America is like being a Jew in Germany they just don't understand.
you complain that my people are lazy, yet you won't let us better ourselves and achieve an education.
you dragged us .. EIGHT THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED & SEVENTY SIX miles to throw food and shout racially injustice names to a little black girl who didn't even want to be here in the first place.
n*****, negro, black, disgusting, animal.
I am none of these, I am a powerful African Queen
& your words
your ignorance cannot seep through this soldiers armor.
I will sleep better tonight then I have in 5,000 years knowing that today
today
we woke the world up.

This has got to be my favorite piece to date. You can see my research & maturity. I wrote this February of 14' for my poetry club on the Little Rock Nine. For those who are not familiar with the Little Rock Nine, they were 9 African American students who did similar to a sit down at a school. They were laughed at, threatened, had food thrown at but yet they still came to school and went to class. Let this remind you of everything that's going on right now. History repeats itself, and honestly nothing has changed. Let us not forget Trayvon Martin & Mike Brown. Please kept #Ferguson alive & NEVER forget what has become of Amerikkka.