Afternoon | Teen Ink

Afternoon

By KayeJoelle GOLD, Vancouver, Washington
KayeJoelle GOLD, Vancouver, Washington

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
-Dr. Suess

I was walking along a long dusty road, at a slow dusty clip, minding my business, when all of a sudden, out of that scarlet sky, two beautiful lovebirds flew by. Their plumage was iridescent and reflected the sunset of the hot hot afternoon. And they flew with such grace dancers would have cried until their eyes were as dry as the tall summer grasses lining the endlessly long dusty road were I was minding my business.

I was walking along, minding my business, when out of that scarlet sky I found your beautiful brown eyes. Eyes that were actually miniature planets, galaxies, iridescent like a lovebirds feathers. Swirling with wild fiery sandstorms. Sweeping away lonely travelers minding their business. Eyes that were as warm as the tall summer grasses along that hot hot dusty road.

But your eyes turned out to be lies. They weren’t really planets or galaxies, but black holes that swirled with vicious thundery storms that tore through souls. Sweeping away lonely travelers minding their business, who just so desperately wanted to see the sky and stars again. Eyes that were as flat and cold as my own. Eyes that made me think of that long, long lonely dusty road.