Her Brown Eyes | Teen Ink

Her Brown Eyes

By KayeJoelle GOLD, Vancouver, Washington
KayeJoelle GOLD, Vancouver, Washington

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
-Dr. Suess

Time is the thing that measures seconds, minutes, days, years. If only I could travel back in time, I wouldn’t do a thing differently. Relive the warm smells and sights of freshly ground coffee. Sitting across the table from a pair of warm brown eyes that melted my heart like chocolate.

I want you to tell me, do you like the rain? Or do you prefer to hide inside under blanket forts, watch the flood cascade behind the safety of a window pane? Tell me about all the people you’ve loved but were too afraid to tell because doing so meant coming out of your shell. Why did you love them?

What’s your favorite time of year? Not your favorite season, more like sights and smells, painted across the sky. Fiery sunsets, cold glassy stars.

Tell me about your favorite song. Not the song you listen to when your happy. Music you listen to when your hearts been knocked and shattered against your ribcage. When you’ve been up all night, tossing and turning so restlessly like the waves of the ocean.

Tell me, when you’re tossing and turning, who do you pray to? What do you say? What do you whisper in the shadows of your nightlight? I wanna know if you believe in miracles and if you don’t-tell me why I shouldn’t Because I do every time I look into your warm brown eyes.

Tell me about all the times you’ve lied. I wanna know if you’ve cheated and deceived. If you’ve snuck out your window in the dead of the night to light up a cigarette or two. Been high and wasted. If you regret anything If you regret nothing. If you believe mistakes make character.

Finally, I want to know If I walk you to your door, would you let me taste the fine grounds of cocoa lost in your lips? See, I wanna know if you’re as sweet as the hot chocolate my mother used to make for me when I was young, and spent all day out in the cold.

Would you let me become lost in your eyes? If only we had more time Because your mother is waiting just behind the door, and you only have the time to whisper to me,

Goodnight beautiful, sweetdreams